Setting up new business and SW allowance.

cavanMan

Hi there....

currently im on JSA, but im thinking about going out on my own as I will have some work lined up soon.

What im afraid of is that this piece of work is only for a few weeks and i could be a while trying to get more, and at that stage il be entitled to nothing from SW as il be declared as self employed.

so the though of being self employed seems great, but in reality im afraid I could end up with nothing from SW if the work runs out.

is there some sort of Start Up Business Allowance?

all advice and ideas most welcome :)

S

There is a scheme you can apply for called back to work enterprise allowance, I think you have to be on JSA for a year to be entitled to the scheme and be approved by the powers that be. You still get paid your weekly JSA allowance to help you get your business off the ground.
As I understand If things do not work out during the first year you may revert back to JSA More info from the Social welfare site.
Good luck and let us know how you get on

Thanks Johnjoda for the reply!!

actually im only on JSA two months now....unbelieveable to think you have to be on it for a year to get some kind of support, doesn't make any sence!!

Its very important that you get approved for the Back to Work Allowance before you set up the business or you won't get it. You need to be on Jobseekers Ben or Allowance for a year to get it. Lots of info on it from Soc Welfare website and go to the office to discuss with them.

The jobseekers benefit does not require you to be on it for a year, you can apply for short term enterprise allowance on jb which basically just pays you the jb until it would normally run out anyway.

But with jobseekers allowance you have to be on it a year and then it pay 100% of your benefit for first year and 75% for second.

Back