Fit Note on JSA

C

cumbrianlady

Hi,
I started to claim JSA in Feb of this year after having to let my own business go.

Several weeks ago, I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, 193/98 was the highest reading, the subsequent readings have not come down that much.

I think it is being caused by loosing my own business, having to look for work, sort out my house, (possibly sell it) along with several other factors, with no help from anyone, I am having to do ALL of this myself, and the stress is hard to cope with.

I am due to go and see my GP on Wednesday to start my medication.
I have to say I feel ill, depressed, sleepy, limbs ache, headaches that leave me feeling sick and disorientated I (am 54).

What I would like to ask, is it possible or acceptable to get a (fit note) until I get my medication sorted out, and my blood pressure down.

I am very worried at the moment, as I live alone, and the added stress of job hunting is not helping. I am not even driving at the moment, (I live rural) and the journey to the job centre is a 50 mile round trip, plus any job interviews would also be roughly the same length.

I am not looking for an excuse to stop searching for work, just some time to get my blood pressure down and stabilised.

Could anyone please give me any advice.

Many Thanks
CL

Hi CL, Got this from the Rules for JSA and from my reading of it...it appears that if your GP can give you a note explaining that your not currently fit for work for a short period then you may be excused until you provide a final cert. If it went into months though you may have to go on Disability Alowance if you satisfy the terms for that.

Capable of work

You are capable of work unless you can produce medical evidence to prove that you are not able to work. If you have spent some time incapable of work you must produce a final medical certificate to prove that you are now fit for work.
If you are ill and incapable of work you may be entitled to Disability Allowance or Illness Benefit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...s/unemployed_people/jobseekers_allowance.html

Thank you for that - Puds, much appreciated.
I will speak to my GP on Wednesday and explain how I feel, and see what he thinks and advices, he has the final word.

I am hoping that any medication, along with (trying to reduce my stress) and a very careful diet salt etc, should work and bring my blood pressure down.

I know there is nothing else going on, as I have had lots of blood tests to rule out other ailments.

Thanks again, it is all so complicated as to what you can and cannot do.

Regards
CL

Hi,
I started to claim JSA in Feb of this year after having to let my own business go.

I am very worried at the moment, as I live alone, and the added stress of job hunting is not helping. I am not even driving at the moment, (I live rural) and the journey to the job centre is a 50 mile round trip, plus any job interviews would also be roughly the same length.

CL

Could I check if you are an english based person looking for advice. We don't have jobcentres in the Republic of Ireland and you are called Cumbrian lady? If so this website deals solely with RoI issues.

I don't see what the issue is if you are living in Ireland in respect of your stress issues as you don't really have a lot of pressure on you from Dept Soc.Protection to check you are seeking work.

All you need to do is collect the cash in the post office once a week which can't be that difficult? However if you are living in Ireland what are you doing going to a jobcentre as we don't have them?

Back