16 weeks after closing solicitor still has cheque and Probate

bicky5965

We had a public auction at the beginning of August. closing was 6 weeks after and the buyers gave our solicitor cheque. We have still not received all of the money.

He won't answer emails or phone calls and when he does he says he is in the process of doing it.

Probate

Also, the Probate letter from the High Court figure and the actual figure dispersed (when we add all the bills His fee included) is short €70k. I don't think I was to get a copy of the letter as I am not an executor of the estate.

You're a little bit shy on info there!

If what you're saying is that you believe there is trouble afoot, then do the following:

1. Send the solicitor an email/letter setting out your queries, properly. Ask for a full response within 5/7/10 working days. Confirm that. in the absence of a response, you propose to move your business to another solicitor and make a complaint to the Law Society.

2. Go to another solicitor if you are really unhappy with this one.

3. If the matter is resolved and it was all a big misunderstanding, that is the end of it.

4. If the matter is not resolved, your new solicitor should be able to extract a full story or confirm that the matter is heading for the Law Society.

If it goes to the Law Society, it will get dealt with. It is a foolish or very, very troubled solicitor who does not leap into action when they come calling!

mf

The solicitor acts on the instructions of the Executor, so if you are not the executor then the solicitor is under no obligation to communicate with you. If you have a problem then you need to take it up with Executor as he/she is the one charged with carrying out the wishes of the deceased.

Back