Looking for an easy way to remove nicotine stains from Kitchen tile grout

bullworth

I used to smoke in my kitchen years ago. It was my reckless single days. My kitchen is perfect apart from a very slight yellow tinge on some of the tile grout. Can anyone recommend a product or a method of removing this or whitening up the grout lines ? I would like to avoid removing old grout and replacing it if possible. Is there a less labor intensive method ?

Paddy is spot on, I used the grouting pen and it worked out fine, Some pens have a narrower tip then others but you will see that when purchasing, I consider them as white ceiling paint in the sense that one coat is never enough but if you let the first application dry in and go over it again it should be fine.

I've seen the effect that the grouting pen created and wasn't keen on it but that was many years ago so they may have improved on the quality/effect.

Would you not try cleaning the grouting first. Its a long and hard job but I always found the good ol' toothbrush with Cif cleaner did the best job.

I've seen the effect that the grouting pen created and wasn't keen on it but that was many years ago so they may have improved on the quality/effect.

Would you not try cleaning the grouting first. Its a long and hard job but I always found the good ol' toothbrush with Cif cleaner did the best job.

I will roll my sleeves up and try my best to scrub it all before I apply the grout pen but from past efforts it's very slow work. The yellow tinge is very minor but it seems very stubborn :(

you could dab a wet cloth dipped in Milton sterilising fluid on it and leave it on for 15 mins.
I use this method on the grout in the shower tiles and everything comes up white with little effort.

Presumably you are now applying the "Prevention is better than cure" method and have stopped smoking?

Presumably you are now applying the "Prevention is better than cure" method and have stopped smoking?

Yes I have apart from the odd one while I am out drinking. I'm drinking much less too. Since theres a new baby in the house I don't want my kid to ever see me with a cigarette and I want to be around in good shape when she is older. Priorities change :)

I wasn't keen on the grout pen either.
Dettol have a Mould and Mildew remover, it's in a green spray bottle, I find it great for cleaning almost anything, it would be worth a go.

Grout pens don't leave the neatest or nicest finish.
Cif, diluted bleach or a steam cleaner should work.

Grout pens don't leave the neatest or nicest finish.
Cif, diluted bleach or a steam cleaner should work.

Yeah, found Domestos or Cif to be good with either good strong scrubbing brush or old toothbrush Tried the steam cleaner but it didn't do the job at all.

Back