Dublin Commuter Belt. Where would you recommend?

Newbie!

We no longer 'fit' in our current home and cannot afford to stay in the areas which we would like to live in, in Dublin so are therefore looking at moving to somewhere on the commuter belt to dublin.

An average of 1 hour commute time to Dublin city centre is about as far as we want to move which I realise doesn't give great scope but where would you recommend for a growing family. Ideally on a trainline or a very good bus lane back into the city. I'm trying to remain open minded so open to all suggestions.

Last edited:
Maybe anywhere along the south east coast - on the Dart/mainline rail and hopefully next year when the scheduled upgrade to the N11/M11 is complete, a fast drive into Dublin. Somewhere like Wicklow, Arklow, Gorey.... great house prices in these areas at the moment.

Ratoath or Dunboyne. Both are commutable distances to town by bus or train. Both have schools, shops, reasonable sized villages & sense of community. Blanchardstown shopping centre very close. And you get a decent amount of house for your money.

We no longer 'fit' in our current home and cannot afford to stay in the areas which we would like to live in, in Dublin so are therefore looking at moving to somewhere on the commuter belt to dublin.

An average of 1 hour commute time to Dublin city centre is about as far as we want to move which I realise doesn't give great scope but where would you recommend for a growing family. Ideally on a trainline or a very good bus lane back into the city. I'm trying to remain open minded so open to all suggestions.

How much money have you got to spend?

Maybe anywhere along the south east coast - on the Dart/mainline rail and hopefully next year when the scheduled upgrade to the N11/M11 is complete, a fast drive into Dublin. Somewhere like Wicklow, Arklow, Gorey.... great house prices in these areas at the moment.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept. Has the Dublin commuter belt now extended down to Wexford?! Google maps says its a 1.5 hour drive.

What about Ashbourne? It's only 35 mins drive.

This post will be deleted if not edited immediately wept. Has the Dublin commuter belt now extended down to Wexford?! Google maps says its a 1.5 hour drive.

What about Ashbourne? It's only 35 mins drive.

They are currently bypassing the single lane road from the Beehive pub to beyond Jack White's in Wicklow. Upgrading it to a dual carriageway. Will probably cut the time down from Gorey to Glen Of The Downs considerably. There tends to be snarl ups from Glen Of The Downs onwards when travelling towards the M50. Still, if it was me, Gorey is still that bit too far away. Ok if you are working in South Dublin/North Wicklow but a monumental pain in the @rse if you are working in Dublin city centre....

I didnt realise there were replies on this thread so my apologies for the lack of thanks.

We have been concentrating our search in maynooth as the short train/bus journey back into dublin and the existence of a potential employer for me in the town is a major bonus. We also really like the town as a place to live. However, the lack of building in recent years has driven up demand for the few houses available so prices are being driven out of the range we feel comfortable with.

Kilcock is a runner although trains aren't as frequent and the village isnt particularly nice.

Celbridge and Leixlip...although both look pretty, there isnt actually alot in the towns and if Intel ever left Leixlip, I'm sure the town would really suffer.

Still contemplating north of dublin. Need to have a drive around.

Back