Estate Agent Response Time

tea4one

Hi Folks,
My wife and I put in a reasonable offer for a house just over two days ago but have not yet heard back from the estate agent. At the time he was very courteous and said he would get back to us in due course. A number of people had been to see this particular property but no offers had been made until ours.
I am wondering if it is normal not to have received a response by now? We do like the house but if the seller does not accept our initial offer I don't understand why it takes so long for this information to be passed on to us so that we can reconsider and possibly increase our offer etc?
Thanks.

A DNG agent in my area did not return calls or e-mails after I placed a cash offer in person at his office on a property he was representing, that was months back, very frustrating and as it happens the property is still listed for sale so yes, par for the course I'm afraid but really hard to believe, I often wonder if the sellers were aware or interested even in the sloppiness and unprofessional behaviours displayed by some of the agents out there hired to represent their interests.

Did you put a time limit on your offer? If not, I recommend resending the email/letter. If the vendors live in Ireland I'd limit it to three or four days, but if they're living foreign I'd give a week.
The house I'm currently bidding on I've put a time limit of eight days as she's living in Australia.

I sold a house recently through DNG and I also couldn't get an immediate responses to my phone calls.....after he knew he had my business.

same happens to me with a DNG agent. house has no interest at all. we realized the house was nearby a high voltage power line so we lost our interest..

If you are first bidders on the house the EA is more than likely holding out to see if any other bids will be offered before they go back to you. If the house has not been on the market for long then the vendors are probably reluctant to accept in the hope they may get more but at the same time as you say you have made a reasonable offer they also dont want to reject it straight up and lose you as a buyer. If you are getting impatient and are in a position to do so then phone again and let them know the offer is only on the table for another 24 hours (or whatever youre comfortable with).

Back