Home House Insurance cover query

dub1

Hi,

I purchased a house and drew down the mortgage in May. I had to take out home insurance before drawing down. I have not moved in to the house yet as the builder is still finishing off a few things.

I have all risks which covers me if I lose certain things outside the house etc. I specified my Iphone on the policy. I lost my phone last night.Can I claim under my home insurance for the phone loss eventhough I am not living in the house yet. Ive a feeling there may be an occupency condition in the policy

if you own the house and havent moved in at this stage your policy is completely null and void. Apart from the fact you probably have an excess of at least €250 before you get even close to claiming. And it also depends on the circumstances of how you lost it. if you left it on the table to go to the jacks and came back and it was gone - no cover!

You need to contact your insurer straight away and sort matters out. Most policies revert to FIRE only (at best) after 30/60/90 days unoccupancy. Did you tell insurer that house was unfinished at the time? Did you give them an estimated date when you would be moving in FULL TIME?

As Peteb says, you may have NO cover at all on the house and you really need to sort it out.

as for the phone, wave goodbye

If you still work for FBD, you already know this anyway - don't you?

Last edited:
Back