Motor Both lose no claims bonus for same claim?

M

Monaou

Hi,

Unfortunately I think I know the answer here already, but said I'd check with ye just in case....

We were in a minor accident about two years ago (rear-ended the car in front of us at a roundabout). This was completely our fault and that was never questioned. We were travelling in my car, but my boyfriend was driving at the time. I obviously have full insurance for my car, with my boyfriend being insured as a named driver on my policy.

My boyfriend has his own car, with his own insurance, and I am a named driver on that policy. So basically we are fully insured to drive either car.

After the accident, the claim went through my insurance and was paid out. Now, about a year after the claim was settled, we got a letter from my boyfriends insurance company saying they were forced to pay out half of the claim as he has insurance in his own name.

So, when I went to renew my insurance, naturally my no claims bonus was gone and my premium doubled. My boyfriend's insurance is coming up for renewal, so it looks like he will be in the same position.

Is it normal/allowed that we both lose our full no claims discount (both had more than five years) for the same accident and the same claim?

Thanks.

Hi Monaou, I'm afraid this is generally the norm, because your BF has his own insurance your insurer would have contacted them to try and recoupe some of the money paid out as he was driving. Even though it was in your car it still stands as an accident against him.

What you could do is find out what was paid out on the claim and if it is affordable, buy back your NCB by paying off the claim. This may be worth looking at if indeed your premium has doubled.

Hope this helps. Bear

Most insurers in Ireland subscribe to the Dual Indemnity NCB Agreement.

That means that only ONE NCB is lost, the DRIVERS.

Owners NCB is NOT affected.

Who are you both insured with?

Hi MrEBear and Ravima,

Many thanks for your replies.

Re paying back the claim, unfortunately it is higher than the increase in premium, so this isn't an option for us.

We are insured with Aviva and Travellers, so I'm not sure if they are part of the Dual Indemnity agreement.

Travellers first refused to pay half of the amount, but after a year they were obviously pressured and gave in.

I suppose it's normal but it just seems so unfair to punish us both - our no claims bonus was very important, and the increase now very significant!

I have always been very susprcious of these dual indemnity or knock for knock insurer arrangements. They rarely benefit the customer and are usually very sketchy on details. I would send a letter to both insurer's and ask for a full explanation as to why they have done this. At least if you get it in writing you might be able see escatly what was agreed.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Sorry Ravima,

Owners insurance: Aviva

Drivers insurance: Travellers.

Aviva are party to the agreement. I'll check Travellers on Tues and I'll also check out what happens if only one is party to the agreement.

I rang Aviva today to see if I could get anywhere, and they claim that while they are part of the Dual Indemnity agreement, that Travellers are not, so therefore both NCD will be affected.

Do you know is there anywhere that I could check this for myself? I've searched online but can't seem to find anything about it.

I presume if this is correct - that Aviva are in the agreement, but Travellers are not - then there is nothing else I can do?

Many thanks for your help.

You have fallen into the trap of mentioning Dual Indemnity Agreement, and not Dual Indemnity (NCD) Agreement.

They are different agreements.

Many claims handlers are not familiar with the latter as it is more unusual.

I'd write rather than phone as by writing you will have to get a response.

PM also sent

Hi Ravima,

Many thanks for your reply and PM.

I'll write to Aviva arguing my case and let you know how I get on....fingers crossed!

Back