changing insurance policy a month in?

dawnsurprise

i renewed my car insurance policy with my broker last month.. however i know they did not shop around for me and as i was too busy to get to it myself, i renewed with broker for convenience to remain insured.

my husbands inruance is out tomorrow, our broker told him they got a better quote with a different company but would have to pay in a lump sum as opposed to monthly direct debit... as he was with the same insurance company for 6 years, he was reluctant to move and asked the broker to ask the current insurance company would the meet the other quote... however the broker did nothing.... and the insurance company would not talk directly to my husband as he was dealing through a broker... so i rang the broker we use at work - we transferred brokers today and they got a savings of Eu200 with the same insurance company we were with for last 6 years!!!!

my prediciment is that i know this broker could get me a better deal too with this insurance company (which is the same as my husband) i have a monthly direct debit set up to pay my insurance.... can i change insurance companies into a new policy? or can i get my new broker to re-negotioate my premium?????

what irks me more is that we both have to pay our broker Eu50 admin charges... ...is this correct, insurance company told us today when we rang today that they include a commission in the premium for the broker!!!!

what irks me more is that we both have to pay our broker Eu50 admin charges
Just one of the reasons that I don't use a broker!
can i change insurance companies into a new policy?
Yes you can, although your current provider may charge you for cancelling.
can i get my new broker to re-negotioate my premium?
Very doubtful, you have already accepted this premium.

I had a similar problem this year - my husband changed his vehicle 5 days before his policy ran out and I had already renewed. The company were unwilling to offer me what I thought was a reasonable price, so I took out a new policy (with the same company) on-line. The on-line price was €70 cheaper than the price I was being offered! It is possible for you to get a lower premium at this stage - you just have to be sneaky!!

All brokers have fees but €50 seems pretty steep. They have better rates and get paid commission by insurance companies. But the companies don't have staff costs, light and heat etc when the policy is taken out through a broker. So hence the fees. I've worked in direct companies and brokers and have found brokers cheaper.
Your broker may not have had the same rates/discounts as the broker in work. Companies give different rates and dicounts depending on the size of broker and how much business they get from them.
BTW direct insurance cos charge admin fees also, they just don't have to make it as obvious (i.e. it's written into their terms of business which nobody reads) wheras brokers have to display it on the front of renewal notices.

Back