House Insurance - Be sure to ring around

MandaC

A colleague in work yesterday asked me what I was paying for house insurance. Mine is €240 and she said she thought hers was considerably more.

Turns out that she initally got her insurance through the Credit Union, now done through Allianz and she has been with them for the last 13 years.
Has not got an insurance renewal form for about five years and the premiums are constantly taken through direct debit.

Anyway, the upshot is that she is paying €640 for a 2 bed house with a rebuild of €198,000 contents cover of approx €48,000!!!

She did a new quote on the Allianz website as if she was getting a new quote, and it worked out at €279!! So much for customer loyalty.

She phoned them to ask why she got no renewal notices and they said the Credit Union should send them, but the credit union said they should issue through Allianz.

Can she complain to anybody about this, I said I did not think so, that its just a further case of it pays to shop around.

She could log a complaint with the financial services ombudsman but would probably be better to complain (in writing) to both Allainz and the Credit union. They have to reply within 14 days. Check out
[broken link removed]

Back