Motor Motor insurance following conviction

droglodyte

Hey all,
I need some advice on the area of motor insurance following a conviction and ban for drink-driving. My father has just finished his ban and needs to get back on the road.

I am trying to get a quote for him but to no avail. Where should I go to get a quote? Any recommendations graciously received!

Regards
D

I think he has to get written refusals from 2 other companies and then his insurer at the time of the offence are obliged to cover him - mind you the price will be significantly higher than he would like.

5 written refusals and then the case is referred to the declined cases board of the IIF. They will direct a company to provide cover. The price will not be good.

There is no obligation on any company to quote contrary to popular belief.

Assuming he had a motor insurance policy in his own name at time of conviction, then that insurer MUST quote.

From the IIF website (my emphasis):
What can I do if I am unable to obtain motor insurance?

Insurance Ireland operates a Declined Cases Agreement, which is adhered to by all motor insurers in Ireland.

Under the agreement, the insurance market will not refuse to provide insurance to an individual seeking insurance, if he/she has approached at least three insurers and has not been able to obtain cover from them. In general, the insurer first approached will be required to provide the individual with a quote. It is therefore important that the proposer keeps a careful note of the order in which he/she approached each of the three companies.

Where an individual has held a policy within the previous three years, the insurance company concerned is obliged to provide the individual with a quotation. Again this is subject to the proviso that refusals have been received from three insurers (of which the previous insurer may be one).

The only grounds on which an insurer can refuse cover are where to provide insurance would be contrary to public interest.

St. Paul's/Travelers, now simply Travelers, used to cater specifically for motorists with DUI or other convictions. However their website suggests that they now only do fleet policies.

A quick Google threw up this broker in Limerick: http://www.culleninsurances.ie/convicted-drivers.html

If it's less than two years since he was banned, he may be able to get his NCB reinstated. But his loading will far exceed any saving.

Back