Best Buy Best Credit Card Reward Schemes

Information last changed: 8 April 2017.

Best Buys:

KBC: Credit Card
  • Reward: 1% cash back on grocery and online purchases up to a maximum reward of €10 per month.
  • Rate: 18.25% APR.

AIB: Platinum Visa Credit Card
  • Reward: 0.50% cash back on all annual spends from €5,000 to €50,000 up to a maximum of €225 per year.
  • Rate: 11.84% APR on purchases.

Other Reward Credit Cards

Bank of Ireland Credit Card with Real Rewards
  • Reward: 1 SuperValu point (worth about 1 cent) per €10 spent outside SuperValu. 1 extra SuperValu point (worth about 1 cent) per €1 spent in SuperValu.
  • Rate: Varies depending on the card type.

Notes:
  • This thread lists the top credit card reward schemes. Reward cards are generally best for those that pay off their credit card balance in full.
  • Post comments, suggestions and feedback in the banking forum.

Last edited:
Fungus - that is a really great post. A great addition to Askaboutmoney. Thanks very much.

I met a few AAM'rs recently and there was a feeling that the membership card for Askaboutmoney should be the Amex Blue, because it was so highly recommended. Has it lost a bit of its colour?

Brendan

[broken link removed]

• 0% APR on Balance Transfers and purchases for 9 months, 14.9% APR there after, 22.9 % on cash
  • €40 reward if you spend more than €5,000 in a calendar year.

Has it lost a bit of its colour?

Brendan, as far as I am aware the Amex Blue is no longer being offered by BOI.

Those very clever AAMers who have the Amex blue card are still earning 1% on all purchases as the existing cards continue to be managed by BOI.

Marion

Fungus - that is a really great post. A great addition to Askaboutmoney. Thanks very much.

Thanks Brendan. Would it be possible to move this thread to the best buys forum? Cheers.

I met a few AAM'rs recently and there was a feeling that the membership card for Askaboutmoney should be the Amex Blue, because it was so highly recommended. Has it lost a bit of its colour?

As the previous poster just indicated there are many reports that this is no longer available to new users.

Hi Fungus

I will add it to the Best Buys in a few days. Sometimes they get lost there, whereas they stay fresh for a few days in this forum

Brendan

Brillant new information for me.

Pigsback giving 4000 piggypoints. However i email them last night as their page to this offer didnt access it. I got email back saying MNBA offer temp removed and they are hoping to get this offer in next few weeks back again.

I have CC with BOI and i always pay my balance when due. So my CC card is out in Feb so went into BOI today to cancel my card. The lady asked for €30 fee for the govn tax to close the account. So as I was getting the money I asked would this cover my next card I got elsewhere. She said no this was required to close the account and another fee would be needed on a different card. I left saying I needed to check this with my own branch of BOI cheers.

Is this true. The way I understand it from her is that it will cost me €30 to leave BOI card and €30 to get another card from somewhere else. Any comments. Thanks.

Ulster Bank have some kind of points thing on offer with ebookers

[broken link removed]

Brillant new information for me.

Pigsback giving 4000 piggypoints. However i email them last night as their page to this offer didnt access it. I got email back saying MNBA offer temp removed and they are hoping to get this offer in next few weeks back again.

I have CC with BOI and i always pay my balance when due. So my CC card is out in Feb so went into BOI today to cancel my card. The lady asked for €30 fee for the govn tax to close the account. So as I was getting the money I asked would this cover my next card I got elsewhere. She said no this was required to close the account and another fee would be needed on a different card. I left saying I needed to check this with my own branch of BOI cheers.

Is this true. The way I understand it from her is that it will cost me €30 to leave BOI card and €30 to get another card from somewhere else. Any comments. Thanks.

You shouldn't have to pay the 30 euro stamp duty more than once a year when you cancel a card and get another. You should be able to get confirmation that you have paid the 30 euro from BOI and a new provider should then not charge the stamp duty again until the following year.

Did you use the below link?

Yes That tells you the CC application form temporarily unavailable too.

Thanks for the info on €30. I felt that lady was wrong in saying I would have to pay another €30. Going to look into a tesco CC next. Might as get points somewhere. Thanks...

no.definitely incorrect. you get a letter confirming you have paid the GSD for 2008-2009 and the new bank wont apply the charge again on 1/4

Click Visa by AIB. 8.5% apr. no frills card,statements received through online banking and payments to be made to the card online also

Click Visa by AIB. 8.5% apr. no frills card,statements received through online banking and payments to be made to the card online also

This thread is only for best buys for Reward cards. The standard AIB card does not have a reward attached to it.

As the previous poster just indicated there are many reports that this is no longer available to new users.

I got mine about two years ago, but it took a bit of work.
As far as I recall there was mention of it on the AmEx website but not the BofI website.

I phoned, wrote, e-mailed and eventually called into a branch.
Once I was able to get my hands on an application form it was plain sailing and has been well worth it.

You don't realise until you get an AmEx how many places do actually accept it.

The reward really ads up over the course of the year, easily covering the stamp duty on all cards that you have.

My advise would be to walk into your BofI branch and speak to a Customer Service representative.

Back