London: Return flight for same day... Bad idea?

skint

I'm hoping to go to London for a day in the new year just to visit Madame Tussuad's wax museum. As i can't afford to stay over night I have booked a return flight for that evening. Has anyone else done the returning the same day as departure and do you think this is not a problem or to much rush? Also which airport is nearer to Madame Tussuads?

It's quite doable as long as you go early and come back late. Think Heathrow is your best bet - Heathrow express train goes into/out of Paddington. Get a taxi to/from Madame T's to save hassle of navigating Underground and to save precious time.

You can easily do it in one day.
1st morning flight will get you into the centre of London for 9am. If your flight home is ,say 9pm, then you will have free time from 9 till six in the evening.

I think Heathrow is probably the best airport because as far as I can recall, Madame Tussauds is on the Piccadilly line on the tube which goes into Heathrow.

I do it once or twice a month for business with no probems and 2 or 3 times a year for matches with no problems. Depending on what flight times you've booked, you should manage it easily

Madame Tussuads is in the centre of London. Baker Street is the nearest tube. Personally, I'd fly into Heathrow and get the Tube up. If you fly into Stansted with Ryanair, you're looking at £20-£25 for a return train ticket to London.

I've often been to London and back in a day for Business. A day might be a bit rushed for sightseeing but if its only to see Madame Tussauds it should be fine. Its just over an hours flight but remember to include your checkin time there and back.

The closest airport is probably the city airport but it probably wont be the cheapest flight. I usually fly to Heathrow (aerlingus) and its easy to get the train into the city (train takes longer but is much cheaper then the Heathrow express) and then connect with a tube for Madame Tussauds. It should take you about an hour.

I tend to use this website allot to plan and time journeys around the UK: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/
Its very good. You can test it with other airports to see what suits you the best.

I have done the day them many times.

Heathrow - Tube in from here.

Gatwick- Gatwick express around 25 pound return to Victoria.

Standstead- Get standstead express to liverpool street.

Depending on who you are flying with- Aer lingus heatrow or gatwick
ryanair gatwick or standstaed

Personally I now rather Gatwick

Easily go out early come back late same day

If you go into Gatwick book your train with Southern train into London Victoria on line before you go. I used it last week and got it for 7.50 return It takes about 5 mins longer than Gatwick exress which works out so much dearer. It took me 35 mins this time compared to just under 30 mins with express. When you arrive in Victoria you can go to underground and take tube anywhere in London very easy. With this train ticket from Gatwick (only Southern trains) you can get 2 4 1 to alot of attractions in London.

Thank you all so much for your reply's. I shall book it in the next few weeks... :)

for money saving its best to time the train for after 9:30 / 10:00 so you get the off peak fares which are considerably cheaper

With tickets from the local trains from gatwick includes a travel card zone 1 to 6 ...very handy.

I'd second Gatwick and an 'all zones travel card' - you can buy this after 9.30am for about 9 pounds and it will do you all day. You can't get the gatwick express but there is only 10 mins or so difference in the regular train journey. You can buy the card in the airport.

Oh rite cool so you just use it on the train? So i can get train from Gatwick to near the madame Tussuad

Oh rite cool so you just use it on the train? So i can get train from Gatwick to near the madame Tussuad

you can get a train into Victoria station and get the underground from there. Victoria tube line (light blue on a map) north to Oxford Circus and Bakerloo line(Brown) north to Baker Street. Try www.tfl.gov.uk for more info on transport in London

Hans what website did you use to buy your return travel ticket on line?

i will advise you that gatwick airport is the nearest to central london. where u can c madame tussaud

Back