Pregnancy rights in the work place hospital visits

wanagetahome

Hi,

I'm writing on behalf of a good friend of mine who is currently pregnant with her second child, she works part time 5 days a week and when she approached her manager for time off for her hospital appointments he said they must come out of her holidays even though she doesn't have enough holiday days left in the year. Is this right or what are her rights in this situation.

Thanks a mill

If she is working part-time, why can't she arrange these visits during her non-working hours?

If she is working part-time, why can't she arrange these visits during her non-working hours?

I'd agree here.

I have a few staff who didn't bother with the ante-natal classes after the first child even though they were entitled to it.

Are the classes available when she's off or in the evening.

Consultant appointments are different though as it this will depend on the consultant.

The query was whether, if she needed to take time off during working hours for hospital appointments, was she obliged to take holidays. The legal situation is that no, she isn't.
There ins and outs of why she has to go during working hours are nothing to do with the query.

sometimes you just have to take whatever appointments you are given they cannot arrange everyones appointments to suit employer's hours and she is entitled to attend as is the law.

I'd agree here.

I have a few staff who didn't bother with the ante-natal classes after the first child even though they were entitled to it.

Are the classes available when she's off or in the evening.

Consultant appointments are different though as it this will depend on the consultant.

I believe the original question was in relation to medical appointments, rather thatn the ante-natal classes.

And, the classes are available as a once-off right , IIRC i.e. on one child. (Open to correciton on that one)

I have three children, worked part-time when pregnant with all of them and arranged all of my hospital visits outside working hours. My employer always was and is extremely accommodating but I figured that once the children arrived I might have no option but to take time off at short notice and I often did and there was never any problem, a little give and take on both sides can work wonders.

I have three children, worked part-time when pregnant with all of them and arranged all of my hospital visits outside working hours. My employer always was and is extremely accommodating but I figured that once the children arrived I might have no option but to take time off at short notice and I often did and there was never any problem, a little give and take on both sides can work wonders.

Nevertheless, the OP's employer was entirely in the wrong in insisting they are taken out of holiday. Give and take is fine, but the OP's request was not unreasonable.

Thankfully, the law doesn't leave it open to discretion, or the goodwill of an employer. I too have very accomodating employers, and I always tried to schedule my appts late in the day or early in the morning to reduce the impact on work. However, regardless of whether an employee and their employer have a decent "give and take" kind of relationship, like you and I have, the law is quite clear.... a pregnant employee is entitled to take reasonable time to attend their hospital/doctor visits.

Of course, you are only entitled to the time required to travel there, wait, attend, and travel back to work. You are not entitled to take the full day off.

Back