Email Address including Job Description

djr

hi all,

while my o/h was on holidays her email address title (not the address itself, which is still [email protected], but her "name"), was changed.

to clarify, this was the setup before (for example in the company email directory or whatever you want to call it):

"Firstname Secondname"

and this is it now

"Firstname Secondname - Long Job Description"

this was apparently done because someone sent an email to the wrong person (who has the same firstname only), and they wanted a clearer definition of who was who.

now, i realise that generally, computer systems are the property of the company itself, and thus they can dictate your usage of same, but does the average use have any say in how their name is represented in the email address list, aka the company directory.... ?

she feels that her individuality is being removed by this step, as 99% of the email directory don't have their job descriptions after their names.

any ideas? where does she stand by way of making an official complaint? she's already raised it with the direct line manager (he being the one that made the change), and he just shrugged it off saying "that's the way it has to be from now on".

thanks for reading,

dave.

The email address is the property of the company too, and the information the email sends and recieves are under ownership of the company. It would be for company use while many allow personal use within reason.

Sounds like a sensible approach to me. We've had similar problems as there might be a few john doe's in a company of thousands.

have always had job description or department after my name in companies. I don't see a problem with it. It's standard practice in large companies and in companies with two or more of the same names.

Email address is only supposed to be used internally - she probably had to sign some code of conduct thingy when she started - therefore I wouldn't think she has grounds for complaint.

I guess a lot depends on the kind of organisation she works for. If this is a Ryanair or Dunnes Stores, I don't think she is going to get very far. However, if it is an organisation that has a genuine concern for the wellbeing of their staff, it might be worth following up.

While it is not unusual to have something about role or department on the email address book, it is usual to have this for just two people. It is even more unusual to have this done for two people with the same christian name. It sounds to me like a knee-jerk reaction to a situation where there was some confusion about who is who. It is a typical 'blame-the-computer-fix-the-computer' kind of response, which is always easier for cowardly managers than addressing a human problem.

If she is likely to get any kind of a reasonable hearing, it might well be worth her while bringing it up again, maybe with her line manager, or with a HR department, or maybe through her union.

oh just saw it was with that the first name only was the same. Don't see why it was changed so!! Surely they should be questioning the competency of the person who sent the email if she can't even remember someone's surname!

I've sent an odd email to the incorrect person but am compentent - that's the curse of cookies.

Thankfully never sent to all - think there's 8000 on our all group.

In answer to the OP's question though would it be a problem if her title was Managing Director?

We have titles against common names like Brid Kelly etc.

If one of my staff members complained about something like this, I'd so my best not to let them see my eye roll.

where does she stand by way of making an official complaint? she's already raised it with the direct line manager (he being the one that made the change), and he just shrugged it off saying "that's the way it has to be from now on".

thanks for reading,

dave.

Don't see what ground she has for complaint Davey

I think her manager is being entirely reasonable, and probably has much more important things to worry about

Back