Ryanair Hand Baggage Size Restrictions: How Strict?

Its security who do the checking and weighing not the check in. I've been through Stansted a few times to different destinations and each time the security have been rigorous. They check what airline you fly with, then check that airline's weight restriction - make you put everything on a scales and send you away if its over the limit. They have little spaces set up where you can weigh in yourself and dump stuff if you're over the limit.

I wonder why they do the airlines work for them?

No problems at Stansted airport last week - travelling with very little (and ONE) bag, Ryanair and online check in.

Does take some time as it seems so many clothes and accessories have to be taken off either yourself or waiting behind other people :rolleyes:

Thought staff were a lot politer than in the past.

Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but, this was discussed on the radio today. Apparently Ryanair are becoming very strict about the hand luggage size and weight. It was reported that the staff have been incentivised to check, getting a % of the penalty.
Some airports are still stricter than others, if people could give any of their experiences regarding this lately it would be handy

Yes, they have been getting progressively stricter. And rightfully so IMHO.

In my experience, the strictest airports are the ones "owned" by Ryanair such as Frankfurt Hahn or the Ryanair terminals in Tampere and Bremen. These pretty much serve Ryanair only and so the airline is free to put in checks right at the entrance, before you even get to security. In other airports, they check at the gates more and more often.

don't think it's very fair if the staff get a % of the penalty - they could just choose to make everyone check in their bags then. Travelling ryanair tomorrow ... will let you know how it goes :)

It would only be unfair if they were given the chance to make up random rules on the spot. I have never seen this happen myself or heard from anyone else about it occurring with Ryanair.

I would argue that it is actually *more* fair to enforce the rules very strictly. It helps you plan as you know exactly how much you can bring. And it avoids the situation where you are subsidizing those that bring everything but the kitchen sink, expecting to carry it all on board. I am all for strict enforcement.

Just came through Malaga airport this afternoon. Ryan Air were very strict the guy had the metal cage and he was checking lots of cases and bags. Lots of prople were pushing and shoving bags into the cage, but I did not actually see anyone having to pay the extra money. I noticed that a few people were told to put the Duty free into their cases and some just seemed to go through with the bags in their hand and the girl on the check in at the entrance to the plane told my friend that if you were priority you could also carry on your duty free..... I had never heard that before, is there any truth in what she said?

if you were priority you could also carry on your duty free..... I had never heard that before, is there any truth in what she said?

There is no such official rule - but if they start always handling it like that, many more people will be buying priority. Clever move by Ryanair I must say.

There is no such official rule - but if they start always handling it like that, many more people will be buying priority. Clever move by Ryanair I must say.

Very clever - better still will be the will start selling extra hand baggage allowances to passengers, thereby getting around the need to check-in. That would be a popular one with passengers wanting a bit of extra carry-on weight, I would have thought

Malaga recently, yes they refused to allow anything but the carry on, and made a big play about the size of the baggage. I am glad of that, some of the carry on baggage looked like Nellie the Elephant's trunk!

Carcassonne September, lovely staff, bit of craic, but they weighed the hand luggage, yikes! I was 10.4 kilos, but a big smile on both sides won the day and on I got with no check in demanded. They had a good look at the size of the carry ons too, like Malaga, shunted the elephant trunks posing as little carry ons to the check in desk, but were so polite you could actually forgive them.

Anyway, the rules are the rules, and if you're caught not obeying them, nobody to blame but yerself.

All airlines appear to round down when you are slightly above the limit:

* Ryanair, Frankfurt Hahn: I was told 10.x kg is fine - 11 kg and above has to be checked in.

* Ryanair, Tampere: I was told checked in bags up to 15.8 kg are fine - 15.9 kg and above, you have to pay the overweight fee.

* Aer Lingus, Dublin: The new self-service baggage drop machines actually point out that the weight is being rounded down. Thus, 20.x kg is fine - 21 kg and above, you have to pay the overweight fee.

Back