"i-to-i" anyone any experience of getting a placement teaching abroad with this co?

tyler_durden

hey,
has anyone any experience of getting a placement teaching abroad with this company and if so, how was it?
cheers

I went to a childrens' home in Guatemala with i-to-i. I wanted the safety net of someone meeting me at the airport, taking me directly to my placement, and being available for any problems I might encounter.

I'm braver now, and wouldn't use them again, as I found out when I was there how easy it was to orgainise volunteer work yourself, and thus save yourself thousands. And once you're careful and do some research beforehand on where the best places are to stay etc, you don't need to be met at the airport etc.

Obviously it depends on where you're going, and how brave you feel. If you are going for a long term placement (more than 1 month), and want the security, then book the 1st few weeks through them, and then organise the rest when you're over there directly with whatever organisation you want to work with at no extra cost. i-to-i are flexible too, (or were last year when I was with them) so if you want to extend your placement through them when you're there, they'll happily arrange it.

Hi Lizi, I'm heading off travelling next year and would like to do some volunteerig en route, any recommendations on the best way of doing this based on your experiences?

Hi animha,

I only have personal experience on guatemala so i can't comment on anywhere else (although I met lots of people over there who had organised work in other parts of central america when they arrived). The link below might help. it's for a spanish school i went to over there in a town called Quelzaltenango and they can put you in touch with relevant organisations. Every second person over there was involved in some type of volunteer work (that's an exaggeration, but it seemed like that sometimes). If you have a relevant background there are some really worthwhile projects to get involved in. if you have no experience you could always work for someone like 'habitat for humanity', who build houses over there, all you need to be able to do is carry.

[broken link removed]

there are numerous schools in this town, most of these can organise work for you.

take a look at their link to entremundos, it tells you everything you want to know.

If central america isn't your thing, i'd imagine you could probably find similar websites/information for other countries.

good luck,

Back