Anyone know how to deal with calls from 002011772013 - usual PC scam

Windows-R just brings up a dialog where you type in the name of a program to run.

Then they'll get you to go to a website and run something that lets them take over your computer so they can, uh, "help you" remotely. :rolleyes:

Thanks for that, then what will they do with the computer, are they looking for bank accounts etc?

Our laptop has so many annoying popups I practically don't use it anymore and most certainly not for banking.

Either that or they will just ask you for credit card details over the phone for the "fix" (or both). In the US, Microsoft themselves reckon the average amount lost by people scammed by these cold callers is $875.

What I don't understand is why the telecoms companies we all pay each month don't block these numbers to prevent them calling us ....

Exactly.

My solution. Cancel landline. End of problem.

If they can't be bothered to filter these calls, I can't be bothered using them.

Thanks for that, then what will they do with the computer, are they looking for bank accounts etc?

Our laptop has so many annoying popups I practically don't use it anymore and most certainly not for banking.

Popups don't get their on their own. A user has done something to get them there.

Yes they look for information, they can scam you with.

Either that or they will just ask you for credit card details over the phone for the "fix" (or both). In the US, Microsoft themselves reckon the average amount lost by people scammed by these cold callers is $875.

No cold caller either on the phone, email or to your door wants to do anything other than make money by catching you off guard.

People should be warned to just ignore all cold callers. No exceptions.

Complain to his authorities

002011772013. This chap is at it again. +20 Egypt (0)11 Etisalat Phone company, based in Cairo. You can scare the crap out of him by telling him this stuff. He is using international calling cards, his phone is prepaid and I think registered, I have sent a request to Etisalat for his information which I will forward regardless to the National Telecommunication Authority of Egypt also in Cairo. You can call Etisalat at 0020-23-534-6333 (a landline) and complain and/or make an additional complaint to NTRA Egypt at 0020-23-534-4000 (also a landline). I hear Egyptian prison is lovely this time of year.

Also if companies sell on your data without your express permission, complain to the data commissioner/ ombudsman or equivalent in your country.

002011772013. This chap is at it again. +20 Egypt (0)11 Etisalat Phone company, based in Cairo. You can scare the crap out of him by telling him this stuff. He is using international calling cards, his phone is prepaid and I think registered, I have sent a request to Etisalat for his information which I will forward regardless to the National Telecommunication Authority of Egypt also in Cairo. You can call Etisalat at 0020-23-534-6333 (a landline) and complain and/or make an additional complaint to NTRA Egypt at 0020-23-534-4000 (also a landline). I hear Egyptian prison is lovely this time of year.

I seriously doubt it. Why would anyone be using expensive international calling cards when VoIP can be essentially free? You can set your caller ID to anything you want (I can even do that myself), which is why there is also no point complaining about your Telco not blocking the numbers ... they can be changed as often and as easily as a fake email.

It's a new world of telephony out there. I imagine you will soon have to install a junk call filter on your phone or, more likely, a white list of people you'll accept calls from.

Also if companies sell on your data without your express permission, complain to the data commissioner/ ombudsman or equivalent in your country.

As I pointed out, all too often the victim has given their permission, frequently inadvertently. Once your name is out there it is very difficult to recall it. It can also be next nigh impossible to identify who the culprit is that "obtained" your permission to sell on your details as most people would not in the normal course of things retain copies of every form they fill in - therefore who exactly do you complain about? If you try and approach it from the other side (i.e. ask the cold-caller for who their source is) - they will, at best, only be able to give you the name of the company they bought the details from, which isn't necessarily the company that gathered your data. The cold-caller is not actually the root problem, they are simply the manifestation of it. Unless you can identify the true culprit you are at nothing. So your point is without any useful content (and as this is an Irish site, the "data commissioner/ombudsman equivalent" is the [broken link removed]).

The only logical, fair and sensible solution is to ban the practice entirely.

Alternatively (though I would not be in favour of it) if they include a query regarding "3rd Party" they are legally obliged to pay a fair price for each person's details (and not with discounting - with cash). In other words, at the moment, it costs these data-gatherers nothing to obtain your information (storage is a separate cost, I am talking of the cost of acquisition only), yet they can make money from it - why should they have any entitlement to a free ride?

Popups don't get their on their own. A user has done something to get them there.

What do you mean someone did something? My kids are way ahead of me, no idea what they've done to the PC. Movies, music and games is all I can figure out is what they are at.

But some of the pop ups I don't like. They are not for x websites, but girls all the same if you get my meaning, nothing too rude, we just close them down. And there's also other advertising, it could be anything. It's very annoying. I don't have such mega problems on my ipad. Ads jumping yes, but not so intense as on the laptop.

I actually don't understand why computers don't come with something to prevent things you don't want. And now they've gotton to our phone too. I've subscribed to get no nuisance calls but get them regularly but I've put a stop to the junk mail.

Umm Bronte, I think you need to get someone with a little bit of IT-know how to have a look at your computer. :)

Seriously though, it is impossible to give you an answer without having a look at the computer. There are malware, firewall and anti-virus software that can help but without seeing your machine it is pretty difficult to advise. It sounds like it isn't quite a happy bunny though!

When you say there are pop-ups. I am assuming this is only when you access the internet?

It's well known that I don't have a clue in relation to anything PC wise. Yes, the pop ups happen when we are watching a movie that my OH has downloaded. He got that I think from a website my eldest taught him about.

But I think the pop ups happen when the kids are playing games.

But it doesn't happen when we're watching something from the RTE player, like Primetime.

I know your advice about an expert is ideal, but we've only had the machine back a month after getting a new hard drive as they said that was the problem. If my OH has to go back again we might as well buy a new device.

Is it possible to buy something that doesn't have any pop ups, virsus, malware etc.

Practically everytime you download something onto your laptop there is something else which is downloaded sneakily as well. Even reputable sites like Google etc will have a tick-box somewhere asking you if you want to also download XYZ software (or some internet toolbar or something similar) along with whatever it is you actually want to download. They are often well disguised (not hidden as in unseen but they are not obvious and you can miss them easily) so you need to check very carefully to make sure that you untick these boxes.

These guys are a real pain! When I'm bored I'll answer the phone and mess with them for over an hour pretending not to understand anything they say. Sometimes I tell them that I don't much about computers but my kids do and I out 1 of the kids on the phone for a while.

What they are trying to do is to get you to load up software Kongo your PC that allows them to access it and get credit card info etc. off it. They're very efficient at what they do and would be able to talk anyone through the process of getting their rogue software installed.

Unless you are tech savvy I would not answer the phone to them at all. If you are then answer and string them along for as long as possible.

Back