Home renovation scheme extended to landlords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brendan Burgess

Founder
To improve the housing stock

Home renovation incentive has been successful - I am extending it to rental properties from today until end 2015

As a landlord I welcome this, I guess it refers to the VAT exemption when you get a builder in to do work on your home.

But I worry the contractors will just increase what they charge !

Anything that encourages landlords to renovate, improve is an important incentive to get the housing stock in better condition.

As a landlord I welcome this, I guess it refers to the VAT exemption when you get a builder in to do work on your home.

But I worry the contractors will just increase what they charge !

Anything that encourages landlords to renovate, improve is an important incentive to get the housing stock in better condition.

Exactly,its a false economy.

The local County Councils need to have a serious look at the state of some of the places they rent out aswell.Ive seen some of them 1st hand due to the nature of my work and the CCs have ALOT to answer for.

Sorry but this one doesn't make any sense to me - sure the cost of upgrade/repairs are an allowable expense against the rental income are they not?

Sorry but this one doesn't make any sense to me - sure the cost of upgrade/repairs are an allowable expense against the rental income are they not?

Repairs - yes. Upgrades - no.

It would have made far more sense to abolish the silly distinction in tax treatment between repair/maintenance & upgrade expenditure.

The local County Councils need to have a serious look at the state of some of the places they rent out as well. Ive seen some of them 1st hand due to the nature of my work and the CCs have ALOT to answer for.

In fairness to most Local Authorities, I've also had to inspect their rental properties and its' my opinion that they are no worse than some of those in the private market. Some are so nice that I often wonder why I don't jack in the job, sign on and go on the local housing list!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back