Sky go to TV

Pyla

I have sky go on my ipad but I'd prefer to watch movies on the TV. It's an old tv approx 12 years old. Can anyone tell me if this can be done, I've googled it but seem to get different answers.
Hope I'm in the right place?

Sky have deliberately encoded the app so that's not possible. Even on Android devices, they only release the app to devices they can lock down the ability to cast the feed to a TV.

Thanks Leo
If I got a new tv so, a smart one, it wouldn't make any difference is that right?

If you have a laptop you can use SkyGo on that and stream it to the TV using HDMI cable or similar.

I have sky go on my ipad but I'd prefer to watch movies on the TV. It's an old tv approx 12 years old. Can anyone tell me if this can be done, I've googled it but seem to get different answers.
Hope I'm in the right place?

Sky saw past that trick a long time ago. ;)

If you have a laptop you can use SkyGo on that and stream it to the TV using HDMI cable or similar.

I have a laptop, that's worth a try but shame to loose the app off the ipad for the kids. Can't have it every way I guess.

You can have SkyGo on multiple devices so you can have both Ipad and tablet registered. In fact I think its up to six devices now.

Only two devices allowed now, with one switch per month permitted
Two is the standard, four is on Skygo Extra plan.
I don't know what anyone else thinks but I think whatever rights Sky signed up to it is crippling their options. They have to test every device to disable HDMI output except PCs and Xbox. Leaves them trailing the curve when it comes to Netflix etc.
Also I hate that the UK Sky owner gets a better range of options than we do in Ireland. Plus the botch the governments have made in diversifying the market simply means the consumer paying more to more suppliers and more money for overpaid footballers. Rant over for today but I love and hate Sky all in the same sentence.

but I think whatever rights Sky signed up to it is crippling their options. They have to test every device to disable HDMI output except PCs and Xbox. Leaves them trailing the curve when it comes to Netflix etc.

I think it's more to do with maximising their revenue by discouraging the sharing of accounts.

I think it's more to do with maximising their revenue by discouraging the sharing of accounts.

Maybe that is the intention, but personally I think that the net effect is negative. Multiscreen takeup (85K) has the lowest growth of all Sky products when it should be one of the strongest. Selling to existing customers should be a done deal when in fact what Sky is selling is broadband and HD packages and not multiscreen.
Personally I think the effect of a crippleware product and pricing policy results in an increase in shady Sky workarounds, with illegitimate sources selling boxes and subscriptions[sic] instead of Sky getting the revenue.

You can have SkyGo on multiple devices so you can have both Ipad and tablet registered. In fact I think its up to six devices now.

I rang Sky yesterday about not being able to download the box sets. Apparently I need HD tv. I don't see it being worth €15 a month, plus I would need a new box which costs €250. I told him I would just download the torrents instead.

He quickly offered my HD for 12 months at €7.50 a month and the latest wireless HD box for €30!! Quite a climbdown!

He also said Sky are launching their fibre broadband today.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

He quickly offered my HD for 12 months at €7.50 a month and the latest wireless HD box for €30!! Quite a climbdown!
I think they will be doing a lot of climbing down in the coming years. This is the next industry due for a shake out. Customers being fleeced for years.

I think they will be doing a lot of climbing down in the coming years. This is the next industry due for a shake out. Customers being fleeced for years.

That and mobile phones. Although I have been told that the profit margin on mobiles is getting smaller all the time.

The most recent Premier League rights deal sees Sky and BT paying £1bn per year for rights just to the Premier League games (£6.6m per game!) A 71% increase on the previous deal, it's safe to say they're confident in their income streams.

Back