completing the MC1(a)Jan2014 - med card for a UK pensioner living in Ireland.

NOAH

I am helping a uk pensioner living in Ireland complete the MC1(A) Jan 2014 form and as they are automatically entitled to a medical card, they have the appropriate letter from the UK pension authority, is it necesaary to complete details on income ie savings/investments?

I am sure I read somewhere that no needs assessment is required but cannot find it.

They have convimced themselves that they must complete it and it may take them over the weekly limit, which I doubt.

The HSE site gives the following information:

3. To Qualify for a Medical Card by Automatic Entitlement

Certain people who are ordinarily resident in Ireland automatically qualify for a Medical Card. They still need to complete an application form, but they don't need to meet the criteria of the means test. You automatically qualify for a Medical Card if you are among the following groups:

You have EU entitlement
You are entitled under Government Schemes

This suggests that the application form must still be completed.

If your friend has income from the UK ONLY and no Irish income then he/she is entitled to a medical card but MUST complete an application form.
He/she is not required to complete the full means section. The only means she must fill in is her UK income/pension. All other boxes (relating to means) should be marked N/A (not applicable)

Back