Hike for bus and rail travellers

The 15% for bus fares is savage.

The 15% is easily avoided through buying a leapcard though or what people should really do if they pay over €1.90 for a bus fare is to stock up on a load of travel90s these will allow you to get on 2 or more buses once the last journey starts less than 90 minutes after the first.

Bit confusing,you have to leave a 90 minute gap,or it has to be less than 90 after your first bus ??

Here is what the website says;

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €19.00

Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
Tickets are for individual use only and may not be used by a group
No CIE photo ID required [/QUOTE

Are there separate terms and conditions somewhere else?

Last edited:
No you don't have to leave 90 minutes between journeys, it's once your second or last journey starts within 90 minutes of first using the card (you have to validate it at the card reader on the bus). I always thought it would only work on 2 bus journeys a colleague disagrees and the DB site is, as you've found, not great at explaining it! It does say unlimited so I suppose any number of buses could be used.

These tickets have variable expiry dates on them but I think most of the ones around at the moment are valid until 2014! so you could miss out on 2 price increases by buying a bunch of them now.

Dwell times at some stops are crazy, queues of people lining up with cash fares
If hiking cash fares means people will be encouraged to go pre-pay I'm all for it
Well that's for Dublin bus though

I see Bus Éireann are hiking their fares too, I don't remember a pre pay option in Galway last time I was there

Dublin bus have definitely not explained it very well..

My understanding of what is written on their website is that:
You can go on a bus journey, ten times ,up to 90 minutes each time??

I had a look at the [broken link removed]. For me, a Leap card will be the way to go, so long as it is offered at a discount to cash fares. The difference in my weekly spend will be 20c :rolleyes: but the tangible benefit is not having to queue for or to have to have the cash each time you need a ticket. I hate having to use the ticket machine with a €20 note and then having a load of coins as change.

Last edited:
Hmm. Ive just heard that its only the cash fares that are increasing..
So there will be no point in stocking up on tickets.

Think of all the people that do not live on a bus route, It cost them a fortune to run a 2nd car if both are working,

I always thought it would only work on 2 bus journeys a colleague disagrees and the DB site is, as you've found, not great at explaining it! It does say unlimited so I suppose any number of buses could be used.
When they first brought these out - many, many years ago - they were called a Transfer 90, and they only allowed 2 journeys.
When they were revamped into the Travel 90, you get as many journeys as you need, once the last one starts within 90 minutes of the first tag on.

Dwell times at some stops are crazy, queues of people lining up with cash fares
If hiking cash fares means people will be encouraged to go pre-pay I'm all for it

Ironically, the more people move to the Leap cards, the worse the dwell time will be.
Tagging on on the right hand machine will get you charged almost the max fare (currently €2.20), to pay any less you have to go to the driver and have him issue your fare.

Ironically, the more people move to the Leap cards, the worse the dwell time will be.
Tagging on on the right hand machine will get you charged almost the max fare (currently €2.20), to pay any less you have to go to the driver and have him issue your fare.

Yeah, awful pity they didn't go for the same tag-on tag-off process that applies on Luas and DART.

Now that sounds like a really stupid process !! I cannot see how that helps the customer at all.

Why can't they tag-on/off like rail users ???

Because there are thousands of bus stops. Do you really want them to put a machine at every one?

Because there are thousands of bus stops. Do you really want them to put a machine at every one?

The smart card devices are already on the buses. I'm guessing that the limitation is that they are not location sensitive - so they have no GPS tracker or other technology that will let the smartcard reader know what stop they are at when the person tags on.

The smart card devices are already on the buses. I'm guessing that the limitation is that they are not location sensitive - so they have no GPS tracker or other technology that will let the smartcard reader know what stop they are at when the person tags on.

Actually reading how the system works on Dublin bus makes no sense. From my understanding, you can only tag on the right side of the bus when paying the maximum fare. Otherwise you still have to get the driver deduct the correct fare from your card. Is this correct? Haven't seen it in use yet so am curious.

Actually reading how the system works on Dublin bus makes no sense. From my understanding, you can only tag on the right side of the bus when paying the maximum fare. Otherwise you still have to get the driver deduct the correct fare from your card. Is this correct? Haven't seen it in use yet so am curious.

Yep, that's it - because the card reader on the right side has no location information.

But you still need to tag off either on the bus when getting off or at the bus stop so it can calculate the fare so a Luas like system would be next to impossible to use.

Back