Garden pond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gorteen

I'm thinking of putting in a garden pond. Space is no problem, but I'm clueless as to what's the best way to proceed.

Should I use pond-liner or rigid pond?

What size is best? I'd like it to look nice wihtout being a nightmare to maintain. A few fish (probably hardy goldfish) and a waterfall feature would be nice..... but I'm worried I'll end up with a puddle of green.......... :eek:

Starting at the end, to prevent the "puddle of green" stuff corn-straw into old pairs of tights and let them sink to the bottom of your pond.

Last edited:
The bigger the pond then the bigger the filter needs to be.
It also depends on whether its a wildlife pond of will it have fish-stock in it.Alot of filters also come with built in UV light systems that kill bacteria in the water as it goes through the filter.These use a little more electricity than your normal filter.

You want the pond to be a good 2.5-3 feet deep in places so that fish and wildlife can escape any cold harsh winters and the pond freezing up.This also allows them to escape to deeper parts of the pond when its high summer when the water temp will rise alot due to the sun beating down all day.

We are making our wildlife pond bigger at the moment.We use Butyl liner

Shape of pond dug out and down into the ground,all sharp stones removed.A layer of sharp sand is placed over the ground to create a smooth surface ,then pond fleece underlay is placed over the sand and then the actual butyl liner itself is installed over the underlay.

Large sticks or small mini bales of barley hay or corn straw placed into the water keep the pond water clear and you can also add pondclear treatment to the filter and water to keep it clean.You also need to keep an eye on the filter/filters and make sure they are doing their job and dont let them sit and clog up with gunk.Oxygenating plants are also a very good way to keep a pond clean and clear and keep it in good condition.

Having a pond is great and a lovely feature in a garden but please bear in mind that a pond does take looking after,and if you cant look after it then you shouldnt keep fish or any wildlife in it,as its not fair to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back