Lock keeps freezing !!

Holtend82

The lock in my car keeps freezing, everytime i try to open it i have to either suck the key to get it warm(yes i know its discusting) or try pack hot water into the lock to ease it. does anyone know of anything i can do ? Im just afraid that i will break the key some day trying to open it.

You can get small heaters that fit into the slot to thaw it out. They're around the size and shape of a kar key so you can keep them on your key ring. Most motor factors should have them.
Leo

when you lock your car at night put some tape over the locks this will prevent them from freezing over just make sure its not heavy duty tape as it might take the paint off.

when you lock your car at night put some tape over the locks this will prevent them from freezing over just make sure its not heavy duty tape as it might take the paint off.

I tried that wed night and it did not work !!
Thanks for the comment leo, i will look into that.

Throw some very hot water at the lock and over the key.If no hot water/tea/coffee,then maybe sucking or heating the key in your hand.

My brothers jeep was giving him trouble opening and starting. He has been putting old blankets over the bonnet and front windows and so far so good.

Don't put water into the lock if you can avoid it.
The water will only go somewhere else and freeze again.
On my step this am @ -3 boiling water + salt froze again in 30 secs.

Just heat the key in hot water and dry it off before you put it in the lock.
WD40 is of use in relation to driving water out, I dunno if it helps unfreeze locks.
How about heating some WD40, then dipping your key in that, then using that on the lock? :)

ONQ.

Throw some very hot water at the lock and over the key.If no hot water/tea/coffee,then maybe sucking or heating the key in your hand.

It's strongly advised that you don't do this. It's not too effective, and any water that does make its way in will soon freeze, expanding as it does, potentially damaging the lock mechanism.

A well aimed one second spray of WD40 or any other penetrating oil will do the trick.

agree with capt wd40 and usuallu u get the long red nossle with it so u can spray into the lock

I've heard that in an emergency that you could pee on the lock, never tried it myself though, holts use to do a small tube of 'lock de-icer spray'

make sure you dont stand too close to the lock if the try the above or it you may get frostbite!

A spray type lithium grease will do the same as wd40 but will last longer, should be done every few months to key mechs, lock assys, hinges etc to prevent failure. Good service garages will do this as part of the service.

Back