politicians, 4 star pizza etc ignoring "no junk mail" signs

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I just had a confrontation with a guy delivering junk mail from Democracy Matters.

There are the only one to ignore the sign on my door "no junk mail; no political flyers". He claimed that he was just doing his job and was told to ignore the sign by his boss. If he didn't do so, he would be sacked.

I have had the same from 4 star pizza. The guys were told to ignore the signs. Most companies respect them.

The local FG TD Eoghan Murphy is another culprit.

I emailed a FF would be councillor who said he would "try to note on the register that I did not want stuff from him" but he obviously ignores the notices as well.

Any suggestions for doing something about it?

Print off lots of junk mail and post it through his door and constituency office!

If it is only happening on such a small scale, I would suggest that it isn't worth getting worked up over. Most of these jobs are outsourced, and I would imagine that it is at the discretion of the guy handing them out, how would his boss know if he had posted it through your letterbox or not. I would think that when you confronted him, he just fobbed you off with the boss line.

I must be lucky up in D12,because since I put up my no junk mail sign,I have gone from 50+ leaflets to practically zero per week.Mind you,the old guy delivering Alive,the slightly crackpot religious paper,just ignores the sign.I guess he answers to a higher power.

I emailed a FF would be councillor who said he would "try to note on the register that I did not want stuff from him" but he obviously ignores the notices as well.

Any suggestions for doing something about it?

The good news is that councillors and TDs automatically add you to their newsletter list without telling your or giving you an opportunity to not be added if you contact them by email. So look forward to a further round of spam now.

I do wonder about the "boss" excuse from these people. I've never had Dominos phone me up to check my menu was delivered, so how will the bosses know if they respect the no junk mail request?

This really should be outlawed,why should any business/politician be allowed to walk up to your house and essentially throw litter through your letterbox onto your hall.

If you throw so much as a cigarette butt onto the street you are rightfully looked on as some lower form of life.

I had to replace a letter box recently because of the carelessness of one of these louts doing one of their litter drops,he actually snapped the front flap clean off and left in lying on the mat.

If I see them littering I go out now and run them off my property before they can set foot on it.

The only solution to this blight is for it to be made illegal.

The ones that annoy me most are those who don't even bother pushing the flyer/paper all the way through, so making it obvious if you're away for a few days.

I used to work for An Post, when you're delivering publicity post you get a bonus per '000 leaflets, and if you dump them etc - you get fired....

Put a sign on your door saying that all flyers and political leaflets will be charged a €200 fee.

Then invoice the senders enclosing a copy of your sign and a copy of their leaflet.

The law on this is the same as those private car parks where you have a sign saying e.g. if you park here you'll be liable for clamping/fee etc.

csirl

That is a really good idea. Can I take them to the small claims court to enforce it?

why should any business/politician be allowed to walk up to your house and essentially throw litter through your letterbox onto your hall.

A good way of looking at it.

Isn't it illegal to put flyers onto car windscreens? I presume it's just as easy to extend that to junk mail?

Brendan, have you contacted the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) on 01-8304752 to have your name removed from Irish based junk mail marketing lists?

My father used to suggest years ago returning the leaflets to their offices in an envelope without a stamp so they would have to pay postage. Don't know if this would work!

If you're added to a politician's emailing list set up an autoreply to all their messages - something appropriate - eg "A Black Mass is being said for your intentions" to Ronan Mullen or a tax return checking service for Mick Wallace or whatever.

If you're added to a politician's emailing list set up an autoreply to all their messages - something appropriate - eg "A Black Mass is being said for your intentions" to Ronan Mullen or a tax return checking service for Mick Wallace or whatever.

Love it! :D

Brendan, have you contacted the Irish Direct Marketing Association (IDMA) on 01-8304752 to have your name removed from Irish based junk mail marketing lists?

It's a start but it only works for stuff that's specifically addressed to you - it doesn't stop guys posting unsolicited flyers etc into the letterbox

Back