Smaller U.K. airports for onward Ryanair connections.

SlugBreath

I normally fly from Dublin direct to airports in Europe for my onward holidays using Ryanair and Aer Lingus. I am looking at other destinations that Ryanair fly to in Europe that are not available direct from Dublin but that are available from various U.K. airports.
Which are better U.K. airports that I can fly in to from Dublin and where getting an onward Ryanair flight is hassle free?. I suppose I am talking about the smaller airports.

Are there any connecting Ryanair flights one can get to take you from Dublin to Larnaca, Cyprus? It seems the only way to do this is through Lufthansa and it can be 12/14.16 hours from Dublin, through Munich/Frankfurt, sometimes Athens or Vienna to eventually, Larnaca.

Ones does not have to use a UK airport. I have used Charleroi as a connection point before, which opens up more final destinations.

Are there any connecting Ryanair flights one can get to take you from Dublin to Larnaca, Cyprus? It seems the only way to do this is through Lufthansa and it can be 12/14.16 hours from Dublin, through Munich/Frankfurt, sometimes Athens or Vienna to eventually, Larnaca.

Ryanair don't fly to Larnaca .. they fly to Paphos which is on the other end of the island .. If that works for you it's served from Charleroi and Rome Ciampino by them .. connections from Dublin might work (though obviously at your own risk per Ryanair policy etc. )

Otherwise not sure re: your comment about it only being possible on Lufthansa from Dublin with 12+ hour connections .. BA, Air France, KLM and other all fly to Larnaca .. should be possible to get connections that are more like 6-8hrs travel time (given it's quite a long way away you're not really going to get much faster than that)

For those that take the risk, what do you advise re. minimum stop over times in the interim airport? Is it necessary to go through security a second time?

I'd say min 2hr connection to be safe .. if you're going hand luggage only and aren't too risk-averse you could maybe shave a little of that, but not much ..

I think it will vary airport by airport on the security, can't comment on all of them but I would assume at most that you do have to re-clear security as they won't have a direct airside transit route , or even if they do you may still be forced back through security ( I think this is the case at Stansted for example which is probably the most likely place you'd connect through) .. No matter what airport if you have checked luggage you'll certainly have to exit, re-check the bags and return through security since Ryanair won't through-check bags.

Ones does not have to use a UK airport. I have used Charleroi as a connection point before, which opens up more final destinations.
Is Charleroi a small airport. I would only have hand luggage so that would eliminate having to use the drop bag facility. I understand that I would have to go through security again that is why I am looking at the smaller airports where this is less time delay.

@noproblem. Is it possible that you might open up a separate thread in respect of your question?

Evildrk
Otherwise not sure re: your comment about it only being possible on Lufthansa from Dublin with 12+ hour connections .. BA, Air France, KLM and other all fly to Larnaca .. should be possible to get connections that are more like 6-8hrs travel time (given it's quite a long way away you're not really going to get much faster than that)

Yes, you're correct about the other airlines, but the price they charge is really exorbitant (almost always). The flight to Paphos is good news, it's not a huge car journey from there to the Larnaca region. Thanks very much for the information.

Is Charleroi a small airport. I would only have hand luggage so that would eliminate having to use the drop bag facility. I understand that I would have to go through security again that is why I am looking at the smaller airports where this is less time delay.

No personal experience of Charleroi but it's fairly small (and Ryanair are making it smaller by moving more flights to Brussels main airport ) .. so I would say it should be better than transiting through Stansted or Luton for example. (though on the other hand less flights from Dublin so connections might be quite long)

Evildrk
Yes, you're correct about the other airlines, but the price they charge is really exorbitant (almost always). The flight to Paphos is good news, it's not a huge car journey from there to the Larnaca region. Thanks very much for the information.

I don't know what dates you're looking at , but looking at random dates for next month for example there's not much price difference between BA, Air France or Lufthansa .. The cheapest flights on Lufthansa seem to be actually operated by Austrian (their subsidiary) from Vienna so you'd have to route DUB-FRA-VIE-LCA which is a pain and as you say results in a very long journey ... Also seems to involve a 1am arrival into Larnaca and a 0630 departure going home .. Flights via Paris or London on AF/BA seem to be not much more expensive (20-50EUR) with more civilised times and shorter journeys

(and yes this probably should be in a separate thread, but I don't have the power to move it!)

I know the following is largely off the real topic here. If you are travelling with others I would advise to forget about a two stop strategy even if there is money to be saved. Remember you are bringing extra trouble on yourself hoping that all flights will run on time and that times will not be changed etc not to mention coffee, sandwich at exorbitant prices in inbetween airports. If you are travelling with children then definitely a one flight strategy is the best.

I know the following is largely off the real topic here. If you are travelling with others I would advise to forget about a two stop strategy even if there is money to be saved. Remember you are bringing extra trouble on yourself hoping that all flights will run on time and that times will not be changed etc not to mention coffee, sandwich at exorbitant prices in inbetween airports. If you are travelling with children then definitely a one flight strategy is the best.

It's more about getting to destinations that are not serviced direct from Dublin for me.

Back