Motor Disgusted with insurance quotes.

anniemac

The Irish motor insurance industry are a disgrace and the reason we have so many people driving around without insurance. They have and continue to make fools of the Irish people. Then they get on their high horse and blame young drivers of causing the hike in insurance policies.

Fact 1. have car insurance and son named on policy for third year, full licence, no points, no accidents etc. quote came in for this years policy €400 hike?
Fact 2. Did a bit of shopping around and that really show how inept these people are?

Policy for myself – €435 with son €2,200.

Got quote from "Sharryfoly" for €1,200 so not bad, you would think, then they came back to say that was a commercial quote, so I said ok I have a registered business and do at times use the car for work, but they then came back to say that couldn’t get commercial insurance because the CAR had back seats!
It always had even when the quote was requested. So then came back with €1,600 odds private so ok said go with that as it was still almost €400 less than my own re-quote. Got the documents in and price of letter of offer was €2032, so you can imagine decided not to go with this company as they totally don’t have a clue what they are doing and would be worried that I wouldn’t have insurance at all.

So have went to 5 other companies and 3 wont quote and 2 others giving policy of well over €2,000.

Son says “mum just drive without insurance everybody is doing it” and of course that nearly had a situation where I took the head off my son for suggesting it as that is not the way he was brought up.

But I have calmed down a bit now and totally see why people don’t pay – they can’t afford it, is there not a set guidance, some kind of regulation?

We should have a policy of insurance they we buy insurance personally and not related to the car and we take responsibility for ensuring we cover any claims that can be made against us personally. It works in the states!

My first car insurance, back in 1993, was £2'550, or 12 weeks take home pay. I was 20, with a full licence. That's about €6000 in today’s money. Insurance is cheaper now than it's been for about years. If you/ your son can't afford it then get a car that's cheaper to insure or buy him a bike.

But I have calmed down a bit now and totally see why people don’t pay – they can’t afford it, is there not a set guidance, some kind of regulation?

yeah there is. its called the law! You HAVE to insure your car! If people cant afford to pay insurance, then they cant afford tax either. So should just not bother with the car. Its not a necessity to have one!! Theres other ways of getting round if its too expensive for you. Or just dont insure your son on the car!

Life in the city bubble must be great! when you live in the country and have long distances to travel to work [ yes we work, pay taxes and live by the letter of the law] without an even reasonable public transport system once you arrive at a main road does mean that country folk have to pay for insurance and we do, my complaint was that the insurance industry have created the this situation and staff working with these companies and brokers just make it up as they go along! my guess you guys working on a bonus driven system in the abovementioned industry?

What sort of vehicle is it? Your post(s) seem to be rants rather than queries. I'm always sceptical when I hear these inflated insurance quotes because in my experience there's usually some logical reason for them.

yes definitely rants, sorry, should be more clear, its a BMW 3series diesel and yes I know its more expensive than say a small petrol car, but problem for me is it went up 450 euro since last year? no claims no pp nothing.same car! 450 euro? the company that then quoted said first 1200 then 1600 and when letter of offer came 2100. I gave clear details of car drivers etc.
if there was a sliding scale that was clear and concise everybody would be clear what they are paying and not 'well if you get it cheaper somewhere else come back to me and i will get our guys to match it? . I know that we read from companies that the reason for the high premiums is because young guys are causing mayhem on the roads, but its the people who don't pay insurance that are the problem and the insurance companies have given these people an excuse to be out there and not even attempt to pay a policy. a fair reasonable price for fair reasonable goods and services ?

Insurance has gone up this year, my renewal on a 1.6 Peugot 307 was up almost €100, I've a full license and no claims, my wife is also on it, she's the same and is even a member of the Advanced Motorists of Ireland (or whatever they're called). Nothing has changed for us in 12 months, haven't moved house, changed car, no claims, yet the insurance has gone up by 25%

Learning to drive myself. G/f 2Years full license no claims. Cost nothing to add me to her policy. I'm 30 though so I assume that had something to do with it.

Insurance has gone up this year, my renewal on a 1.6 Peugot 307 was up almost €100, I've a full license and no claims, my wife is also on it, she's the same and is even a member of the Advanced Motorists of Ireland (or whatever they're called). Nothing has changed for us in 12 months, haven't moved house, changed car, no claims, yet the insurance has gone up by 25%

Exact same situation. No change of address, no claims, no accidents, no penalty points, same car. Our quote is up by 25% this year across the board. I think we're all just going to have to pay - you can't drive in Ireland without insurance.

Anniemac

You are driving a BMW.
You have your son on the policy. What age is he?

The price of insurance is directly related to the risk. Young male drivers are the riskiest category. Your son's suggestion that he should drive without insurance suggests that respect for the law is not one of his strong points. Maybe he applies the same respect to speeding and driving with alcohol or drugs?

The cost of motor insurance rises and falls. I am not sure why it is rising at the moment, but it might be something to do with the investment returns. In the past, they got great returns on the premium income invested and this was used to subsidize the premiums. That is gone now.

Did you read about the horrific car crashes over the past few days. We are all paying for them.

Brendan

... Your son's suggestion that he should drive without insurance suggests that respect for the law is not one of his strong points. ...
... so I said ok I have a registered business and do at times use the car for work, ...
I'm not sure I understand this, but it seems to imply that the car gets used for business purposes without appropriate insurance; maybe the young man's cavalier attitude to insurance is learned?

no we have a vehicle for work purposes and it is fully insured and our current car policy allows for commuting to and from work within the 32 counties. have to say i take offence at implications that i would do anything under hand, if I had a cavalier attitude to the laws of the land maybe I wouldnt be so angry at the situation that the insurance companies have created in this country and do as others are doing.

byline: BY TOM McTAGUE

LIVES are being put at risk by an estimated 100,000 uninsured drivers on Ireland's roads.

And figures show between 20-25 people every year are killed by uninsured motorists.

The boss of Ireland's car insurers, John Casey, said: "They are the scourge of our roads. ... [who created this mess? ]

The boss of Ireland's car insurers, John Casey, said: "They are the scourge of our roads. ... [who created this mess? ]

People like your son who encourage others to drive without insurance.

The insured drivers pay for the claims of the uninsured. The price of insurance is higher than it would otherwise be, because of this.

Brendan

Brendan think you need to re-read the posting or maybe I came across incorrectly, my son made a flippant remark when we discussed the increase of our insurance, [ in this currentl climate 450 is a lot for any family and having a job and being able to get to it is imporant to us] I find it very offensive for you to make the comments you are making about my son, we abide by the law, not sure I can say same about insurance companies they created this mess not my son, and we are the ones paying the price - I have been driving for 17 years, no penalty points or claims, husband on over 20 years with no points or claims and son now going into year 3 with no points or claims - don't think we have done a bad job of leading by example, so jump off the high horse!

Hi Annie

Brendan think you need to re-read the posting or maybe I came across incorrectly,

Son says “mum just drive without insurance everybody is doing it”

There is no ambiguity here.
There is no hint of flippancy.

Your son may be a law abiding joker - but you gave no hint of this.

Brendan

Annie,
I dont think there is any need to re-read the post, any one with a little common sence would have known it was a flippent remark said out of fustration. Whats more of a disgrace is when the uninsured is hauled up before the judge, they get a miniscule fine and a few points on their licence. Insurance cost for a young driver are obnoxious and some will be willing to take the risk,

yes thanks LS400, I am and will continue to be totally frustrated with the system and hope my son reaches 30 soon and stays safe, had to put up and shut up paid 2200 an hour ago! and yes Brendan my son does pay the lions share of the fees!

yes thanks LS400, I am and will continue to be totally frustrated with the system and hope my son reaches 30 soon and stays safe, had to put up and shut up paid 2200 an hour ago! and yes Brendan my son does pay the lions share of the fees!

Nobody has a divine right to drive a car. You mentioned the car is a BMW 3 Series...what size engine does the car have? What year is the car? Do any of the drivers on the policy in question have any issues (e.g. penalty points, crashes, a less than full no claims bonus)? Forgive my cynicism but whenever anyone I know gets a "ridiculous" insurance quote it's usually because they're trying to put a 20 year old on an M3 or GTI, or because there's some other underlying issue.

its a 2ltd plain bare basic, and its 03 and honestly no penalty points, convictions or claims, all on full Irish licence and I have 6+ no claims bonus in own name, and yes it is ridiculous - an extra 450 from last year for what ? my reason for screaming from the tree tops!

its a 2ltd plain bare basic, and its 03 and honestly no penalty points, convictions or claims, all on full Irish licence and I have 6+ no claims bonus in own name, and yes it is ridiculous - an extra 450 from last year for what ? my reason for screaming from the tree tops!

QED...a young guy driving a 2L BMW is outrageous and a recipe for high insurance quotes.

Back