Key Post: car insurance - cheaper if female is a named driver?

Re: car insurance - cheaper for male/female as named driver

I wouldn't shout at you Rainyday there are far more worse things wrong with the world I'm happy getting the bus but I do feel sorry for folk who are forced to pay high premiums because the are "too young" or even "too old" :\

Re: car insurance - cheaper for male/female as named driver

but I do feel sorry for folk who are forced to pay high premiums because the are "too young" or even "too old"
Me too.

Aside

As an aside to this debate why is health insurance community rated and motor insurance not?

By Rainyday's logic all those old, obese, heavy drinkers and smokers are stealing from young fit people in that we are subsidising their health insurance but they are not subsidising our motor insurance.

Re: Aside

As an aside to this debate why is health insurance community rated and motor insurance not?
The cynic in me believes that is because the decision makers (senior civil servants, Govt ministers) are typically aged 50+, so they benefit from the cheap car insurance and the cheap health insurance.

Not sure

Note sure if you're right but it is something that seems to be accepted because of the way it is.

I know that penalties are being introduced on people joining health insurance schemes later in life but given that motor insurance is compulsory is that not an argument for the government to introduce a community rated motor insurance product. I think something along these lines is the case in New Zealand and apparently works quite well.

Back