Car insurance: on line competitive quote

Re: insurance

its: [broken link removed]

out of interest I got a quote from them the other day and they quoted me nearly half what I paid last month to another insurer....DOH!! Too late this year but they will be first port of call next year. PS - the on-line quote can be reduced if you ring them up.

Britton Insurance

I got a really cheap quote from the above mentioned. They were by far cheaper that anyone else I got quotes from

Re: Britton Insurance

My insurance is up shortly so I took a look at Britton (to prepare myself for the dreaded renewal notice). I was surprised to see a bargain quote of EUR1090.20 for an AXA policy. Convinced this couldn't possibly be right I went back and checked the details.
There was one mistake I had put "Axa Insurance" as my previous insurer so I changed this to "Axa Broker" and continued, expecting the same pleasent result(it seemed such a small change). Instead I got a quote of EUR1548.04 for the same policy with Axa.
I'm no insurance expert, but I fail to see how obtaining a policy through a broker, rather than direct from Axa last year could justify a 42% higher premium this year!

Also, it struck me that the whole experience of filling in the form for Britton was very similar to so I tried it there. Exactly the same results, except they were offering a discount off the premium for the same policy(approx. 10%).

Re: >>Car insurance survey

You can find IFSRA's car insurance survey [broken link removed]. It is to be updated every 3 months. The PDF file also contains some general useful information.

Marion :hat

Re: Britton Insurance

Ringing around looking for insurance for a provisional driver and Britton Insurance ar 33% cheaper than next 2 quotes and 50% better than highest. They wouldn't say who the policy is with, who could it be..

PS Hibernian Direct wouldn't quote - so that's how they "bring down the price of insurance" LOL

Re: Axa Direct & Axa Broker

Statler,

The difference in premium between these two distribution channels is supposed to be 5%. At least, this is what the providers tell the broker market.

In practice, this is a fallacy. Your premium is now based on how hungry the provider is for business at the time of the quotation request and how targets are going.

I think that underwriting has taken a back seat, in fact I would say that it is in the trunk at this stage.

Re: Quinn Direct

STAY AWAY FROM QUINN DIRECT!! had exactly the same problem and they kept taking payments. Customer service is dire! I ended up going to the FSA and complaining to the QD manager. Ended up getting 300 euro off my policy (which is nothing to them) but defo wont be renewing with them.....ever!

Re: Key Post: Car insurance: on line competitive quote

Marion said:
This post was originally posted by Mac

Any suggestions for car insurance for lady aged 40+, and years of no claims etc.?

MAC

Try Hibernian on line, saved almost 500 euro

think the OP got her answer a while back - this was originally mooted in 2003!!

think the OP got her answer a while back - this was originally mooted in 2003!!
And the great thing about AAM is that while one person asks a question, many can benefit from it! Someone with a similiar query today can search, find the thread, and the continued updates will help provide them (us!) with more information.

Apologies. Totally OT....

Just thought I'd post an update on buying car insurance, as I've recently been looking to renew my insurance and have found that a lot of the links listed on askaboutmoney don't work anymore, as the address has changed or the company has stopped trading, also some new offerings were missing. Hope this is of some use.

The IFRSA website has general information and also cost surveys here.

These are a list of brokers and insurers that will give quotes online.

www.123.ie

www.hiberniandirect.ie (3000 piggy points available for going through pigsback.)

www.bestquote.ie
[broken link removed]
www.quoteme.ie
http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsur...dex_quote.html
www.fbd.ie
www.insureme.ie
http://www.topquotedirect.com/ (online facility not live yet)
[broken link removed]

Some brokers/insurers do not have online quote facilities:
AA Ireland (01) 6179950
One Direct 1890 222222
Eagle Star 1850 447799

Royal and Sun Alliance only offer motor insurance through brokers, on their website you can find a list of brokers divided by county, find it here.

IMPORTANT: Online quotes are not necessarily the lowest price (especially if you are not in a prime insurance category for example if you are young, old, male, in a risky occupation or driving a powerful/high-value car!). Even with online guarantees (e.g. 50euro off for ordering online) it can still work out cheaper to ring the company in question. It would seem that the human operators have significant leeway to discount premiums to secure your business, so haggle!

With regards to my last post I thought it might be useful to highlight my recent experience of getting car insurance to illustrate the savings that can be had, and also I thought it might be particularly helpful for other young male drivers like myself.

A quick review of my situation male, 23, full Irish license (for 1 year), 1 year no claims, no named driving experience, based in Limerick, driving a Renault Clio 1.2L 2000 worth ~4,000euro.

For my first year of driving I was insured with Quinn Direct on a provisional license for ~2,200euro (eek!) for Third party, fire and theft. I have since passed my driving test and am due to renew my insurance. The renewal quote was 1,088euro. But I endeavoured to beat this, I received the following quotes online:

www.123.ie No Quote!
www.firstcalldirect.ie
€1776
€1111 (AXA)
www.hiberniandirect.ie
€1575
www.quinn-direct.com/
€895
www.bestquote.ie €1404
[broken link removed] €1661
www.quoteme.ie €1973
http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsur...dex_quote.html €1292
www.fbd.ie €2211
www.insureme.ie €1520 (AXA)

Amazingly, the Quinn Direct quote was €193 cheaper.

Some of the online brokers email you after you leave the site with an offer to email/phone them if you have received a better quote elsewhere, where this option was presented I availed of it, but again Quinn was the cheapest.

I also phoned the AA who transfered me to AXA, the best quote available was €971. (Cheaper than the 2 online quotes received for the same policy!) The person I spoke to was very helpful and did their utmost to get me the cheapest possible quote, applying as many discounts were applicable!

From the list of brokers I received on the Royal and Sun Alliance website I emailed a query to any brokers with emails listed (quite a few of the emails bounced) and got a number of replys, unfortunately none of which beat my Quinn Direct quote. However when I move into a lower risk category this might be a useful way of lowering my premium.

I also investigated the Hibernian Ignition program. This offers discounts of 20%, 30% or 40% off Hibernian premiums for qualifying drivers who pass the program.

The Hibernian premium of €1575 would be reduced as follows:

20% €1260
30% €1103
40% €945

I know Hibernian provide the insurance for Tesco, Premium Direct and One Direct, but I don't know if the Ignition discount is applicable to these or whether it is applied differently. Does anyone know what the situation is?

So Quinn it is :D

Cian8, why don't you do the ignition course. It doesn't cost you anything and if you get a 40% discount it beats your Quinn quote and you're with what appears to be a more reliable company. Hibernian also give another 17% for no penalty points. I did the ignition course a few years ago and for me, female, 29, 5 yrs no claims with a 99 astra I'm paying €300 fully comp for both me and my husband.

I don't think there's such thing as the best company for quotes cos every case is treadted differently. A few years ago my husband got a couple of hundred quid knocked off his quote when he added me to the policy. At the same time a friend with the same company got €30 added to his policy to add his wife, same ages as ourselves, she had a year's extra driving over me, no claims for any of us, etc. Can't see why it would be different but that's the way it goes.

Thanks for your reply Trish, but, I think you missed (it was a very long post!) the fact that I got an updated quote of 895euro from Quinn when I went online! So Quinn are still the cheapest!

Don't go with Quinn Direct

Hi,
It was interesting to read all the bad reviews about Quinn Direct. I have had the same experience with them. In a nutshell.... yes they are cheap, but if you make a claim, Quinn Direct will not base their decision on what actually happened or who is in the right. They'll make their decision based on how they can make the most money for themselves in the long run. In my case, I had to repeatedly request that both vehicles and the scene was investigated and still it didn't happen. My previous insurance was with AXA and the difference in professionalism and customer care is staggering. I've since gone back to AXA. Colleagues and family warned me about switching over to Quinn Direct..... wish I had listened to them! :(

Back