Proof that a property is a PPR/NPPR or not

The Ghoul

Let's say someone moves out of their parent's house and purchases a property to live in which they do, some/most of the time. However they don't fully "move out" and some important documentation continues to be sent to the parents' address.

Items associated with their name but the parents' address:
Bank Statements
Revenue documentation such as p60s
Payslips

Items associated with their name and own address:
Utility bills
Some other bills
Driving licence which was last renewed in 2005 for 10 years

Which address is their PPR and which is their NPPR? Is the driving licence "proof" considering it was issued in 2005 and the liability dates for the NPPR charge are July/March 2009, 10, 11, 12, 13.

If this person did not pay the NPPR for these years because they regarded their house as their PPR, will the Local Authority take a different view and attach a charge of 7230 to the property.

Thanks

mods: apologies if this is the wrong forum, the LPT forum may be more appropriate?

It will be hard to try and prove it was your PPR if your bank & tax and employer address was showing elsewhere.

Not necessarily, many twenty-somethings (and indeed many older than that) still have bank statements etc sent to parents' addresses - particularly so nowadays given the level of hassle involved in updating addresses with banks etc.

If the contents of utility bills reflect a pattern of habitual residence elsewhere,(eg showing consistent usage of landline or electricity consumption) then the OP's case should be cut and dried.

Quite often children leave home but for convenience still have statements etc sent to their childhood home , not to their new ppr.Particularly so if both houses are in one town.
In that case it is clear their ppr is the new address and Mammy/Daddys address can just be let run for ongoing post.

It means their ppr is the new address ;
If council get iffy it may require something like a sworn affidavitt.

Thanks for the replies, I also discussed this with a few people and it seems that the scenario of adult children with their own houses getting important correspondence to the family home is very common. The children can be aged 40-50+ and married! This continues as long as the parents remain alive and living in the family place.

Also, if someone gets a job and buys a car while living in the family home then moves out, it's likely that their payslip and car tax are going to their old address unless a change happens (eg new car or job) Even then, the person may continue using the old address.

Ghoul, I still use the old family home address for everything other than Revenue. It's closer to where my bank etc. are and much more convenient. Plus it's too much of a pain to switch. I even still insure my car there -- I did tell them over the phone I live in two places. Was just too complicated to switch license, tax and insurance all at the same time. Plus, I prefer not to have post piling up on my floor at my PPR, since I am away from the house a lot. So I have no qualms about doing it like this.

However, as far as your question is concerned, it seems to me that the NPPR is a tax on second houses. You don't (I'm assuming) own two houses. Surely you're entitled to claim the only house you own as your PPR without having to jump through complicated hoops.

In my case it's not a wrong address. I can be contacted at that address. If people in general would accept a separate address for correspondence, I'd happily use my PPR address all the time and have post sent elsewhere. However, most things you sign up for only take one address. I've never intentionally falsified my address, and in the case of car insurance -- the only item that I know of where the address could make a difference to the cost -- I explained that I live in two places, and I signed up under the more expensive address from an insurance point of view. I genuinely do live in two places... I'm not trying to fool anyone. However, I'd like Revenue to treat one of the addresses as my PPR. It's the only one I own, so I see no reason why they would quibble. Or am I misunderstanding?

Back