Buying a house with mapping issue

charleybear

I am interested in buying a house but there is a slight problem with the mapping. The vendor has informed me that the original map and new digital map is slightly different and that the map has to be amended. Apparently, it does not affect the site and there are no disputes with neighbours in relation to the boundary as the side that is different is near the road. He said it is a simple case of getting an engineer to change the map.

Could you tell me if this is the case or will it end up being a lengthy and costly process? We have only started looking for a house to buy and I feel a little bit out of my depth already. Some information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

We came across a similar problem, as in digital map of 2009 being different from the original. Our garden had shrunk by about 15 feet

perhaps you should call the Property Registration Authority (PRAI)to find out the procedure involved & query relating to the property. I am sure the sale can still go ahead even with mapping queries, although PRA will not issue folio /complete registration until it is settled. Just a warning though it took over 10 years for our property registration to be our into our names due to Mapping Queries, was a bit more complicated than your issue as folio was originally one & split into 3 & each sold individually but split was only done at time of sale, the mapping queries were not even related to our folio. it took a lot of effort on our behalf to push issue & get it sorted, our solicitors were useless. edit: it cost us nothing extra in solicitors fees as completing registration was billed as part of sale process but in end I did most of the legwork & pushing & the PRAI were very nice to deal with & you can deal with them yourself.

I am very interested in this subject.
The site on which our home is built is 6' narrower than on our site map.

When our architect measured it before drawing up the plans, he told us about this error.
We told our solicitor about it and he said if we had no issue with it there was no legal problem.
We have no problem with this missing 6' but are now wondering if we were to sell the property could this present a problem for future owners and delay any sale.
Many thanks Browtal

i think a lot of problems with mapping are arising from the digitisation process,new system maybe more accurately reflecting the actual reality on the ground than the old maps where scales etc might have had inaccuracies and given different site measurements etc. I know a lot of farmers had issues with digitisation of maps & the new land quantities showed variations to old maps thereby affecting grants

Thanks for your replies. I will have to find out more information, get a look at the maps and contact the PRAI about the issue.

Back