AIB or PTSB mortgage

leo735

Hello All,

We're in the happy position of having been approved in principle by both PTSB & AIB. We've gone sale agreed & are just about to finalise mortgage details. we're looking at an LTV of 80% for 26 years & as such PTSB's rates are very slightly cheaper:

PTSB 4.3% APR, Cost per 1000 5.27
AIB's 4.36%APR, Cost per 1000 5.32

Obviously these rates are subject to change so my question is does anybody have any thoughts on who we should go with? I imagine after around 15 yrs we'll probably remortgage to reduce rates but are PTSB more aggressive/ quicker to hike rates, or AIB?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Leo

I can just speak from my experience with PTSB, and that is they increased rates quiet quickly back in 2010/2011 - with their variable rate going to 6.15%. They came under some pressure because AIB at the time was something like 3.5% (can't remember exactly), and they where both more or less State owned.

So, their rates have come down to be more inline with the average variable rate, but that still does not make me trust them not to do something similar down the line.

I have no experience with AIB, so cannot comment on them.

Impossible to answer.

Both are state owned but that won't last forever.

AIB will still be here in 10 years time. ptsb will probably be here, but your mortgage may be sold to a vulture fund.

If I was in arrears right now, I would prefer to be with ptsb. They have treated their borrowers much better than anyone else. The AIB split mortgage is better, but it's very rarely given out.

Back