Main Dealer Car for Sale - Motorcheck says finance outstanding

The Pool Boy

I put a deposit by phone on a car that's for sale in a dealer of one of the high profile brands. The car only arrived in the last 10 days or so and is exactly what I want. I've just run a check on motorcheck.ie for car finance and it is coming up as having o/s finance on it.

I've asked motorcheck to follow up with the bank in case it's been cleared in the meantime. If they say it has, happy days.

If not, what's the best way to proceed. I won't be paying/signing anything until all is in order.

How do I ensure it is.

talk to the garage, perhaps there is an agreement that the garage will clear the os finance once the car is sold.

If not, what's the best way to proceed. I won't be paying/signing anything until all is in order.

How do I ensure it is.

Check out my thread. Although I did pull out I would have gone ahead if (a) Id been treated properly and (b) if I was given a copy of the settlement documentation from the lending institution proving on paper that the finance had been cleared and (c) the dealership had been upfront with me.

There was some talk (among friends) that a letter from the dealership stating the finance was being settled would be enough - but considering they could go out of business next week thats not much use to a consumer who may then have the car legally repossessed off them and no dealership to chase up!!

There may be a time delay on the finance information online, I would ask motorcheck about this.

What have the dealership said about this? Have you told them you know there is finance outstanding?

I rang motorcheck, who rang the bank and they advised that it was paid on the 24th February. Records not updated yet.

I rang motorcheck, who rang the bank and they advised that it was paid on the 24th February. Records not updated yet.

Records not updated yet - but possibly waiting on the cheque paid on Feb 24th to clear before they update them. I would still be looking for a copy of the settlement documentation if I were you in case that cheque doesnt clear.

Records not updated yet - but possibly waiting on the cheque paid on Feb 24th to clear before they update them. I would still be looking for a copy of the settlement documentation if I were you in case that cheque doesnt clear.

I've spoken to the garage and they have said it was a finance arrangement through their own marques credit company. They are providing confirmation it is clear prior to me releasing payment.

Back