Can I pay my CGT liability for 2014 online?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I am not sure if I have done this correctly.

I submitted my Form 11 for 2013 online. I had no disposals for CGT purposes in 2013 so I filled in nothing on the CGT boxes.

I have made disposals this year and so I must pay CGT by 15 December 2014.

Can I not do this through ROS? Must I send a form through the post?

This is what the Revenue website says

How do I pay my tax?
Having calculated the tax due you should send a cheque for that amount to the Collector General's office in Limerick. The payment should be accompanied by a CGT payslip which is a short form providing relevant details in respect of the payment.

As noted above there are two different disposal periods for CGT, this will determine the date payment is due and also which CGT payslip is required. Payslip A is for disposals in the first nine months of the year, payslip B is for the remainder of the year.

CGT payslips, which include the full address for the Collector General, can be downloaded from the Revenue website Capital Gains Tax Forms page or obtained by calling LoCall 1890 306 706.
On ROS, I created a Pay and File Payslip
(I had to put 2013 in the "period" box, to get CGT 1/1/2014 to 30/9/2014 )
I had to fill in 0 for the income tax amounts
I filled in the CGT amount
I selected the Single Debit Authority option

I now send this off in the post to Limerick?

If I send it now, do they wait until the 15 December to take the money from my bank account?

Or should I wait until the 10 December to post it?

What are the penalties and interest charges for late payment?

I rang ROS and they told me how to do it online

First enable an RDI (Ros Debit Instruction) for CGT
1) My services/Payments and Returns/ Manage Bank Accounts
2) Ros Debit Instruction/Manage RDIs
3) Amend a ROS Debit Instruction
4) Amend a Tax to Existing RDI
5) Tick CGT
6) You will be asked to enter your password again

Second - pay it
7) My Services
8) Submit a payment/Select a Payment Type/ Tax Payment/Declaration
9) Select a tax type/CGT
10) Make Payment
11) Select a period
12) Click on Pay >
13) ROS Debit Instruction
14) Payment Amount
15) Payment Date

The Single Debit Authority I had printed off the Revenue Website has a box "CGT 1/1/2014 to 30/9/2014" whereas the Ros RDI payment has "Disposals 1/1/2014 to 30 /11/2014"

What are the penalties and interest charges for late payment?

I asked the Collector General what would happen if I did not pay it until January and she told me to ring my local tax office.

The local tax office told me to ring the Collector General, but then asked a colleague.

If I pay "preliminary CGT" late, it will be at the discretion of the Collector General whether to charge me interest or not. If it's only a few weeks late, they probably won't.

But there is a surcharge for making a late return, even if you have paid the tax on time

From Form CG1 – Helpsheet – 2013 Tax Return

Surcharge, Interest and Penalties
This tax return should be submitted on or before the 31 October 2014. There is provision for a surcharge where the return is submitted after that date.

The surcharge is either:
• 5% of the amount of the tax due subject to a maximum of €12,695 where the return is submitted from 1 November 2014 to 31 December 2014 inclusive,
or
• 10% of the amount of the tax due subject to a maximum of €63,485 where the return is submitted after 31 December 2014.

Interest charges may arise where the full amount of tax due is not paid by the due date specified above.

The system automatically imposes a surcharge for late returns - they have no discretion on this.

If you have a CGT liability, make sure your Local Property Tax is up to date!

10% surcharge on CGT bill due to LPT not being paid on time!

I tried unsuccessfully to pay my CGT online yesterday - the system would not accept the date '2014' or '2015' so I could not complete the transaction. I then spent more than 30 minutes trying to talk to a human in Revenue - tried the local ROS Liaison officers, tried the ROS helpline, got sent around a recorded message circle - eventually gave up and went back eons to snail mail! I resurrected a cheque book, printed off the form, filled both in and posted it! :rolleyes:

Hi Eithne

I paid mine today online. No problems.

Where were you trying to enter the year? Did you follow these instructions:

7) My Services
8) Submit a payment/Select a Payment Type/ Tax Payment/Declaration
9) Select a tax type/CGT
10) Make Payment
11) Select a period/ Pay

Step 11) is a box you tick. You don't have to enter a date.

Ah! I tried to enter the date, didn't realise it was just a tick box. Never mind, snail mail worked, the tax cheque was cashed yesterday :(

Back