no space for wheelie bins, its driving me crazy!

queenbee

We have a small city centre house with a front door that opens straight onto the public footpath.

We have a tiny patch of yard out the back, about 5nfoot by 7 foot but with no access to it except through the inside of the house.

The wheelie bins (2 large bins and 1 small brown bin) have to be dragged through the sitting room and out the front door, scattering water, rubbish, flies and god knows what else through the house every week. The bins actually don't fit through a part of the room and have to be lifted up. In addition to this, what could be a nice little area for potted plants and a chair outside is taken up entirely by bins.

Is there anything I can do?

All the bin companies are the same in that they seem to have 3 bins, and the one's we have are the smallest available.

Help!!

I suppose one option is to get rid of the glass and recycle bins, and just use them for waste. (I presume that the three bins you mention are glass, recycling (cardboard etc.), and waste.

You will then have to organise the recycling and glass yourself, by bringing it to a recycling centre when necessary. But at least you have only one bin.

An extention of this is to get rid of all bins and look after all waste/recycling/glass yourself.

I don't know if this is feasable, as I have no information on what city you live in, proximity to recycling centres, and amount of waste/recycling/glass you create.

But it is something i am considering myself.

I live in a small terraced house in Dublin city, but we dont have bins we use bags. Though, I dont know what will happen later this year when waste collection companies will be forced to supply a brown bin to each household for organic waste.

I am guessing that you probably don't fill any of the bins from your household. Would it be possible to share a set of 3 bins across three houses, your neighbours. The bin could go out the night before the collection and the other two houses would put their bags in the bin before it is collected?

Clubbing together with neighbours could get messy (pardon the pun). What happens when one doesn't pay? Or when you're the last to put in your items and the bin is already full? Leave it on top of or beside the bin and the account holder is liable to be fined by the local authority. What happens when they're away on vacation, or they don't put the bin out before you have to leave for work, etc.?

OP, we need to know your rough location and who your current service provider is. For example, if you are in Dublin city, and the Ringsend or North Strand Civic Amenity [broken link removed] are convenient for you, you could ditch the bin service completely and transport your waste to these sites and pay €4 per standard 80l bag of household waste and €2 per bag of green/compostible waste. You would need to retain receipts in the event of being asked to prove you are compliant with the waste disposal laws.

I'd get rid of the bins. Keep all recyclables inside and have a small plastic (sealed) container for immediate perishing food outside. Either empty the perishable good every one or two days in public bins or just cut down altogether. You'd be surprised how efficiant you can get f you have to be. Do a run for the recyclables once a week.

I'd get rid of the bins. Keep all recyclables inside and have a small plastic (sealed) container for immediate perishing food outside. Either empty the perishable good every one or two days in public bins or just cut down altogether. You'd be surprised how efficiant you can get f you have to be. Do a run for the recyclables once a week.

You recommendation would be (probably) illegal. Public bins are not for domestic waste.
I would think it would be pretty much impossible to get completely rid of your bins / bag collection.

Have a look here: [broken link removed]

Last edited:
Replace 'public bins' above with 'skips, work bin, public facility'.

And nothing changes with "Under the initiative, which is to begin this month, householders will be asked to prove they are disposing of their waste in an authorised manner either by using a waste collection firm or taking their waste to a regulated facility. Those who cannot will face legal action."

Thanks so much for the advice. Ill look into bringing the recycling somewhere but I reckon it could end up with us not having time to drive wherever it is and heaps of rubbish building up in the kitchen! As for putting rubbish in public bins...um, probably not a great idea for me anyway. I'd have to sneak around under the cloak of darkness with loads of tiny bags of rubbish trying to find a bin not already full to squeeze it into. Not ideal! Or probably legal. Damn rubbish...we wouldn't have so much of it if every single thing wasn't wrapped it totally unnecessary packaging. Anyway, a rant for another time!!

transport your waste to these sites and pay €4 per standard 80l bag of household waste and €2 per bag of green/compostible waste. You would need to retain receipts in the event of being asked to prove you are compliant with the waste disposal laws.

Looking at the web page for the Civic Amenity sites it says that a car load will be charged €15. Just a few questions. If I drop down the back seats of my car and effectively turn it in to a mini van am I still charged €15 or is it only for a standard boot full?
I see that one bag is charged €4 per 80l bag. If I bring this one bag in the car am I charged €15 or €4?
Is it better to make two trips in the car. One full up with paper and glass and cardboard because I can dispose of these free and a separate trip with the remaining one bag of non green/non recyclable and just pay €4 for that one bag. Because if I fill the car boot with a mix of stuff I will be charged €15?

Any other tips on maximising the use of my trip to the Civic Amenity sites appreciated.

Looking at the web page for the Civic Amenity sites it says that a car load will be charged €15. Just a few questions. If I drop down the back seats of my car and effectively turn it in to a mini van am I still charged €15 or is it only for a standard boot full?
I see that one bag is charged €4 per 80l bag. If I bring this one bag in the car am I charged €15 or €4?
Is it better to make two trips in the car. One full up with paper and glass and cardboard because I can dispose of these free and a separate trip with the remaining one bag of non green/non recyclable and just pay €4 for that one bag. Because if I fill the car boot with a mix of stuff I will be charged €15?

Any other tips on maximising the use of my trip to the Civic Amenity sites appreciated.

I went a few times recently to such a site. Car boot full and back seats full, as full as possible. Only €15 for a full load of junk. Bring the free stuff or electrical first.

. Either empty the perishable good every one or two days in public bins

I cannot believe you are suggesting this. It has got to be illegal, is plainly wrong, and not a good idea as it would be a logistical nightmare.

Dumping your domestic rubbish in Public Litter Bins is most definately illegal.

Here's the relevant extract from The Litter Polloution Act 1997

PART II
Litter Pollution Generally

Prohibitions related to littering.
3.—(1) No person shall deposit any substance or object so as to create litter in a public place or in any place that is visible to any extent from a public place.
(2) No person shall—
(a) deposit any thing that is commercial, household, industrial or municipal waste in any place for collection by or on behalf of a local authority or by another person, or
(b) load, transport, unload or otherwise handle or process any thing or carry on a business, trade or activity
in such circumstances as to create litter or lead to litter in any public place or any place that is visible to any extent from a public place.
(3) No person shall place municipal waste into or near a litter receptacle.
(4) No person shall move or interfere with a litter receptacle that has been provided by a local authority or other person unless the movement or interference is authorised by the local authority or other person.
(5) For the purposes of subsection (3), “municipal waste” has the meaning assigned by section 5 of the Waste Management Act, 1996 .
(6) A person who contravenes any provision of this section shall be guilty of an offence.

Originally Posted by elcato http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=1368096#post1368096
. Either empty the perishable good every one or two days in public bins
I cannot believe you are suggesting this. It has got to be illegal, is plainly wrong, and not a good idea as it would be a logistical nightmare.

Oh get over it guys. We all know it's illegal to shove a big bag of rubish into a public bin. If you eat smartly and have a few chicken bones in a small bag, I doubt anyone will be calling the litter police. A takeway eaten on the street has more rubbish and can be discarded in a bin.

we wouldn't have so much of it if every single thing wasn't wrapped it totally unnecessary packaging. Anyway, a rant for another time!!
All that packaging is recyclable and should be. Even a meat package can be cleaned under the tap and recycled. As I said, if you play it smart you can reduce waste down to absolute very little.

It's a little confusing alright, but my reading of it is the €15 charge is a max charge for mixed loads. If you just have one standard bag of general waste, then it should just cost €4.

You could make one trip, park outside, carry in a bag or two of household waste and pay the €4 per bag, then return to your car and drive in with the remaining recyclable material for free.

If your load is 100% recyclable packaging material or electrical items, then it'll be free.

Summary [broken link removed] on DCC site, there are links at the bottom of this page for the Ringsend and North Strand centres, study these to see what it/isn't allowed.

Could you use a sink waste disposal unit to remove the need for a Brown bin and manually recycle the rest?

What actually goes in to a brown bin? I put my veg peels in my garden compost. I would only have a small bit of fat from a piece of meat or something and the very occasional chicken carcass. Everything else is eaten.

Back