smokey exhaust

Greg Barry

Hi,
B4 I go to a garage and get ripped off again I thought I would ask here for advice first! I have a 03 Saab 93 1.8t Vector petrol. In the last couple of days I have noticed a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. This particularly happens if the car has been parked for a while and then I start it up and it is idling. Doesn't seem to be a problem if I have been driving for a while! It is due a service and I am hoping it is just related to this and not something more sinister!

Any help welcome

Greg

If it's white-ish smoke and it's on cold startup (after about 40 secs or so) and/or if it's left on hot idle for a couple of minutes, then I'd probably look to worn seals in the turbo too. You could check and see if there's any play in the turbo shaft.

New turbo is very expensive, but a replacement reconditioned turbo would be much less money. Some companies will send you a reconditioned turbo fully balanced and tested with warranty on an exchange basis (pay for replacement, fit and send back old turbo within 1 month). It's much cheaper.

Just my tuppence-worth based on my experience with the exact same symptoms on a different turbo-charged car.

You don't wanna know the costs involved in my case!

If it turns out it's the turbo that's the culprit, than go UK-side for a replacement as it's much cheaper. Try Turbo Dynamics, Turbo Technics or Midland Turbo for starters! :)

Thanks Guys! I found a mechanic who is starting to rule things in and out! Its looking like it is the turbo. I love the car but am regretting buying it! I'll let ye know the outcome!

Just an update on the smokey exhaust issue! After being told the I would need a new engine I did a ring around to saab dealers and spoke to a very helpful man in the Waterford Dealership. After a 20 min chat with this guy He thought it was drastic that the engine being replaced was the first option given! This gave me the confidence to go back to my mechanic and ask for more options. Anyway long story short the problem was a blockage in the return pipe from the turbo and was fixed for €80!!! Happy camper now! Thanks for the inputs!

Back