Garden full of leaves - Should I have to pay to dispose of them?

kenken

With autumn well and truly here, my garden is full of leaves. I live in Dublin 24 and the leaves have all fallen from large trees which line the main road opposite my house. My question is, should I have to pay by clearing the leaves up and putting them in the brown bin or just sweep them out onto the road and let the council clear them up? I don't see why I should have to foot the bill to be honest!!!

Any suggestion or opinions please.

Cheers

Gather them up and have a bonfire at the weekend, alternatively sweep them into a heap in a corner of your garden and they will make a great compost next spring.

Don't sweep them out onto the road somebody could slip on them and break their neck:(

Sweeping the leaves onto the road will only lead to them blocking shores.

What is the problem with them as they are on the ground? If you want to clear them from your garden then I dont see why someone else should pay, at the end of the day they are leaves and they are meant to fall from trees every autumn

I can't believe you'd even consider sweeping the leaves out into the street for the council to clean up. Do you see all the other people on your street doing that? Maybe there are a few bird feathers in your garden that you'd like to post to the ISPCA while you're at it. When the postman comes to deliver your post maybe you'd like to charge him for the wear and tear on your garden path, too.

If there are large trees on the road outside your house then you benefit from the beautiful sight of them in spring, summer and even in autumn. If they are on a public street then the council maintain those trees. Have they charged you extra for this beautiful view?

A little bit OTT with your reply Dubgem!! Firstly, other people on the street do sweep them out of their gardens onto the street. I can only assume that these are then cleared by the council, I am never at home during the day to see who clears them.

Just thought I'd put a post up to see if anyone else is in a similar situation. I do clear them from my garden every year, but seeing other people sweep them onto the road starting making me think am I mad to do it myself.

Thanks for the feedback though!

Gather them up and have a bonfire at the weekend, alternatively sweep them into a heap in a corner of your garden and they will make a great compost next spring.

Don't sweep them out onto the road somebody could slip on them and break their neck:(

Bonfires are illegal.

I was under the impression that burning rubbish was illegal and that burning scrub, wood and other organic material wasn't??

Am I wrong?

no there are not, in my part of the country the council allow us to burn garden leaves and twigs and besides there will be far more toxic fires burning around the country next week.

I think we have deviated from the OP post a wee bit.

Now Kenken tell us what did you do with those lovely autumn leaves:)

With autumn well and truly here, my garden is full of leaves. I live in Dublin 24 and the leaves have all fallen from large trees which line the main road opposite my house. My question is, should I have to pay by clearing the leaves up and putting them in the brown bin or just sweep them out onto the road and let the council clear them up? I don't see why I should have to foot the bill to be honest!!!

Any suggestion or opinions please.

Cheers
Kenken, my garden is also full of leaves at this time of year and sweeping them onto the road is the only thing that we and our neighbours do. I did ask Fingal Co Council and they advised this. They sweep up a few times a week, hope this helps.

Don't know why everyone is having a go at the OP - I've just witnessed a road sweeper & a man with a blower clearing the road of leaves outside myhouse. I just wish I'd been on the ball enough to sweep out my front garden at the weekend!

I just moved to a house with some big tree's & lots of leaves falling right now.

I've been out and swept them onto the road, then when I came in I thought 'am I allowed to do that?' plus my neighbour is out there right now bagging his leaves up!

Googled it and came here...

The bin men are due shortly so Ill see what they do as there is a huge pile of leaves on the road outside my very long drive.

Last week a man in a road sweep followed the bin men and cleared up the roads and he spent quite a while at the end of my drive trying to suck up all my leaves that I had left there, a decent chap I thought.

Next week im going to get a blower and blow them off my drive, then I can just argue it was the wind..ha ha.

Anyway, they are leaves, not toxic acid flakes :) If I get told off then i'll let you all know

Good crack.... Tino

Surely it's a bit pointless sweeping them out onto street as they will just blow back in, either to your garden, or a neighbours. Seems a bit odd not to just put them in your compost or bin! If rubbish blew into your garden, you would pick it up and put that in your bin!

Why not dispose of the leaves in the same way you dispose of your grass cuttings?

We put our garden waste into our organic wheely bin which is provided free of charge by our waste collector. Any excess we put into the compost bin or under the hedge at the back of the garden.

I don't have a organic bin, compost heap, or hedge at the back of my garden

What should I do?

I don't have a organic bin, compost heap, or hedge at the back of my garden

What should I do?

I don't have either of those and I bag all the leaves (there'd be about 5 full bin liners from my front garden) and then gradually take the leaves out of the bag and put them into the domestic waste bin. I say gradually, because there is never enough room for a full bag plus I don't want to dispose of the bag as obviously the leaves will decompose a lot quicker if they are not bagged.

Use the leaves to make [broken link removed], which is useful for conditioning soil and retaining moisture.
Black bin bags and time is all that is required.

Back