Work advice - asked to move departments which will affect medical condition.

sylviao

I need advice on a work problem please.

I have been in a job for nearly four years working in the same dept and I am being moved to another. I'm hired under the heading Customer Ass and I do not object to the move just to the dept I'm being moved to.

I had to disclose that I suffer from panic attacks and anxiety and the new dept would affect me because there is no mental stimulation involved in this new area. I have 100 per cent attandance to-date . Mine is a mental health issue and it has been ignored. I've been made get doctor's letters and lots of people know about my condition where up to now no one did. Another girl was told exactly the same as me about being moved and she told them she has a physical condition and then she was given a job to suit her condition. Where do I go from here?

Please help I'm very stressed about this.

You could try giving the people at [broken link removed] a call to see if they can give any advice.

I have seen people moved and also not been moved to different areas of work on the strength of a doctors note, This might be something you need in your defense.

I gave in a docs note and its been sent to head office but the other person who had a physical complaint has not had to do anything at all .but in the mean time im in the area I didnt want to be in and getting more stressed every day

Sounds like a difficult situation.

I'd be particularly concerned about the confidentiality issues. If details of your condition have been revealed to people who don't need them, that is very poor practice, and possibly illegal under data protection legislation.

You have a legal entitlement to a 'reasonable accommodation' arising from your mental health condition, assuming that your condition meets the definition of disability in the Employment Equality Acts. Check out www.equality.ie for more information on this. However, making that legal entitlement a reality can be very difficult, or sometimes impossible.

As a first step, you could formally request a 'reasonable accommodation' of reverting to your previous role on grounds of your mental health disability.

Back