work and not getting paid for hours

cornflakes1

I work full time, it in the hospitality industry. I am working 12 monthe here and i have questioned my payslip numerous times to no avail, i have being keeping an eye on hours and payslip the last month and have being docked an hour every day, i am rosterd in till 5 but work till 6 as not finished till then, this has being going on for everyone but no one has challenged it. its not feasible to leave at 5 but where do i stand for the extra 5 hours a week i do not get?can i get this back?thanks

Is it possible that a lunch hour is taken into consideration? Then again you say your fostered til 5. Is it a different person who does the wages and roster. If so alter the roster from 5 to 6. The person doing wages may not be aware your there til 6. Or just up and leave at 5.

The hospitality industry is unfortunately one where staff are expected to do unpaid overtime.

What does it say in your contract? Does it stipulate that you will be paid for overtime?

Perhaps it says time of in lieu of overtime. In that case, you should keep a record of your hours and request the time off.

5 hours unpaid is not a lot, esp when its one hour every day.

On an average week here, we would work about 15-20 hours a week unpaid. And much more in the busy seasons without time-in-lieu / compensation. Some of us don't come in for as we work it off in the evenings, but I find it easier to start 7ish and finish 7ish.

Dear God, couldnt agree less.

I wouldnt mind a bit extra if needed in emergency but one hour everyday is taking it too far...

I agree.
People should get paid for what they do. This is especially the case if they are paid an hourly rate rather than a salary. If your employer is ok with you taking the odd hour off here and there but expects some reciprocation that's fine but rostering someone for 5 hours when they always have to work 6 is not reasonable or fair, it's just paying them 20% less per hour than agreed.

Back