to leave public service or not?

N

novice999

hi all

I would like some objective advice I have been in my current role for ten years now with the security of the public service I have a salary of 60,000 per year with 30 days annual leave.

I have recieved a offer to return to the private sector for 15,000 euro less but I feel a company car represents a saving of 8,000 per year so perhaps in real terms the reduction is only 7,000.

I am basically completely disillusioned with my current role and would welcome a return to a fast moving environment with responsibility, autonomy and accountability I am 36 years of age and have ten years work experience outside the public service.

Am I foolish to trade a role I know well can do well but find mind numbingly boring for a position with some what less security, pay holidays etc but would be intellectually stimulated, and challenged once again I would appreciate your views

regards

Re: to leave public service or not???

one of the perks of the public service is being able to take a career break of up to five years. Technically you can't take a career break to take up another job but I'm not sure how tightly monitored this rule is. Might be worth a try. In general i think you are better off taking a risk rather than wondering at retirement why you didn't get out while you could...

If I were you I wouldn't dream of leaving the Public Service for less money, particularly with the economy looking suspect. If I was bored like you and had more money than I needed I'd look to take 3 to 6 months off at my own expense and beyond that look for some transfer or secondment within the Public Service. My (simplistic) view is that if someone is 'hungry' they should be working for themselves and if they're not 'hungry' they should be in the Public Service. I'd be nervous if I were a private sector employee right now.

How can a company car be worth 8,000 a year? (with BIK and all).

Don't come down from the tower. It's hell down here.

responsibility = how much do you want
autonomy = there is none, you'll be told what to do by an 'expert'
accountability = easy one this, it's always your fault

PS. go four days a week instead and live your life for the three days off - only 12,000 lower (less the tax element 48% is it?).

Hey!

I have great empathy with you as I am in practically the same situation! I feel my brain dying in my head on a daily basis and struggle with staying or going constantly. I would like to take a career break but you cannot work in Ireland if you do that and I dont really want to go abroad at this time so I am trying to find some way in which to find a happy medium so I will watch this thread with great interest to see what suggestions come up here!

I know how hard it is so best of luck with your decision!

B

you can work in ireland if you work for yourself so could you work on a contract basis for your prospective new 'employer'?
as others have said i'm not sure how closely if at all the rule about working as an employee in ireland is monitored. i know personally of a number of civil servants who went on career break in ireland as employees and were able to come back into the service.

All I can share with you is my own experience - I worked (many, many moons ago pre celtic tiger) in a semi state company, permanent, pensionable etc. I decided to leave to pursue work that I wanted to do which was not available to me within the semi state - at the time people really were ready to call the men in white coats as they thought I was MAD to leave. I have never for one second regretted it - sure the private sector is less secure etc but I can still see those disillusioned people serving their time waiting for their pensions - life is too short!

Money isn't everything. Of course you need a certain amount to survive, but if you have your mortgage under control, why not take a career break.

Otherwise you will feel stifled in the public service and will regret it in years to come. I know you could apply for promotions in the public service but it can take a while & there is no guarantee of getting these.

If I were you I would take a career break off of a year 'to go travelling if you are single', to 'spend more time with your family' if you have them. Then, slowly, after a few months, you could get into the private sector & try it out for a while. You can extend your career break for up to 5 years.

I think you will find the private sector has interesting projects & work etc, but you don't get particularly well paid, when you factor all the long hours of work and effort into account. However, it is very rewarding in that you will develop your skills.

Personally, I would not waste a career break on 'trying out the private sector'. If I had a govt. job, I would only take a career break to 'go travelling & research business ideas' or to set up my own business.

Good Luck

I have a salary of 60,000 per year with 30 days annual leave.
I feel a company car represents a saving of 8,000 per year so perhaps in real terms the reduction is only 7,000.

With BIK it is only worth getting a company car if you are doing high mileage. Also don't for get you Pension, it is estimated that for a private sector worker to get the same pension as public worker they will have to contribute 30% of their salary from when they start work. So in reality unless the company you are going to has a very good pension scheme you 60,000 is worth 78,000.

"don't for get you Pension, it is estimated that for a private sector worker to get the same pension as public worker they will have to contribute 30% of their salary from when they start work."
not doubting this but could you expand, perhaps a numerical example

Can't you do something outside of work to stimulate your brain ?
Do like others advise & take a career break.
I would love a non-pressurised job ! I work hard for less pay,less hols & less pension. Also like others say the private section is looking a lot more shaky...depending on your area of expertise of course.

What are your priorities in life - money? time? security? What is your overall financial position - mortgage? savings? If you are in a relationship, is your partner's employment secure?

hi all

I would like some objective advice I have been in my current role for ten years now with the security of the public service I have a salary of 60,000 per year with 30 days annual leave.

I am basically completely disillusioned with my current role and would welcome a return to a fast moving environment with responsibility, autonomy and accountability I am 36 years of age and have ten years work experience outside the public service.

Am I foolish to trade a role I know well can do well but find mind numbingly boring for a position with some what less security, pay holidays etc but would be intellectually stimulated, and challenged once again I would appreciate your views

regards

Get real, you are in a fantastic position, get a good hobby and travel as much as you can, while you can.

Last edited:

slave1;493754 not doubting this but could you expand said:
A couple of seconds with Google came up with this example: [broken link removed]

Hi all,

thank you all for taking the time to respond to my dilema it is much appreciated, perhaps I should have been more specific I am employed in the health service a career break is not a option I know offically you can apply but it has been many years since such leave has been granted under any of the three options maybe I am mad maybe I have had it too easy for too long I work shift work so it is very difficult to give my time to a hobby with any proper commitment I will get back in touch when I have decided what to do thanks again for all the contributions

I spent 14 years in the private sector in managerial positions. I gave it all up for the public service. I am 13 years in public service and have never looked back. You are guaranteed cheque every one or two week, annual leave, a bit of sick. You are accountable to a point and it is difficult to fire you. Grat and pension at the end. Enjoy

I worked in the public service for 11 years after leaving school and it's a place like no other. Maybe it's changed since but in my time there were many disillusioned people there. It's easy for those who don't know what it's like to recommend staying, but it takes a certain mind set to be able to come in day after day knowing that for years stretching ahead you'll be coming to to the same desk, doing the same job. And there are far too many public jobs just like that.

Sure the pension is good - but the real cost of that for a lot of people is a working life of mind-numbing tedium. I got to the point where I couldn't stand being classified by a grade rather than my own skills and abilities, so I did evening courses in IT and left. I've not regretted it so far...

As Rainyday pointed out this question can only be answered if you provide more context. The grass is always greener and all that but from the perspective of most people in the private sector you are in a very good position financially so unless you hate the job and think you can do well in the new job then on the face of it I'd stay.
I don't know if you have children but I'd love to be able to take 30 days off a year (even 20 would be good!) to spend with them. Working less than 50 hours a week would also be nice. So would total job security.

I would have thought that most people in the private sector work less than 50hrs a week and have approx days holidays.

Back