Anyone know what the CSO pay statisticians?

I suspect that the CSO follow Civil/Public Service grades and salary levels so you may be able to find some information on ?

[broken link removed]
Do you know at what grade statisticians are employed?

from the cso website:

Employment of Permanent Staff

The permanent staff in the CSO are civil servants recruited through open public competitions held by the Civil Service Commission (CSC). These competitions are advertised. Appointments to the CSO from competitions for general services grades (e.g. Clerical Officer, Executive Officer) are, as vacancies arise, made from panels of successful applicants maintained by the CSC over a period of time. Special open public competitions are held for the appointment to the Statistician grade in the CSO. Details of competitions are available from the CSC.

The conditions of service of permanent staff in the CSO are detailed in the Civil Service Personnel Code published by the Department of Finance. The Civil Service, as an employer, is committed to a policy of equal opportunity.

The CSO operates a Flexible Working Hours Scheme agreed by management and staff.

Yea, had seen them both.but neither really helps, unless I can figure out what grade a statistician is in terms of the CSO

Re: ..

They had a competition last year for this
The start salary was in the region of 30000 -32000 per annum

Thanks Bleary...i had thought it would be higher than that now to be honest...

Statisticians pay?

Its not just the average salary that should be of interest, you also need to pay attention to the standard deviation ....sorry couldn't resist

Nat

Re: Statisticians pay?

A lot of people attending on the day were final year students
-it was one of the open competitions so maybe the world and their mother applied but it seemed to be a lot of new grads
For a graduate this would be pretty good salary
This would be the bottom of the scale though not sure if they recruit experienced statisticians any other way .

Did you do the test at the time Bleary? How hard was it?!!!

Re: ..

Ahhm yes I did . It was a pretty typical test of verbal reasoning,numeracy and one test of I suppose you could say role play -gave you a number of situations and asked you to pick the best option of a number given. Or to write a letter responding to a request. It wasn't very difficult tho I managed to forget how to add (whoops). The standard of maths required was about inter cert definitely not honours leaving cert. They sent out a booklet with examples of questions for the maths section and they did follow this format. From these results they interviewed. If you get some pratice in it would be fine-After I messed up I searched for similar examples on the net and found practice examples
I thought there were quite a few who looked as though they might already be working in civil service and were taking it very seriously.

Turns out someone I know did it at the time but he said they only interviewed the top 30. Did you get an interview Bleary or you finish lower than that?

Oh and he said he thought he wasn't that easy at all...said each question was easy, but that you had about a min per question only!

SALARY SCALE: €28,600 - €69,460* (PPC Scale)*€67,350 after 3 years’, €69,460 after 6 years’ satisfactory service respectively on the maximum.

At the last count 4 out of 5 of them were happy with those salaries but 97.876% of those said they would not say no to a pay rise!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't resist!!!

Hi gang,

The grade is linked to the Administrative Officer/Assistant Principal pay scales.
After three years satisfactory service, the Director General has the power to move staff up by 3 increments (ususally one of these is the increment that moves you from AO to AP and is worth about €8000.

Basically, you get to the top of the scale in 7 years or so.

Regards,

Opus.

(Used to work there..!)

Hi Purple,

Nice to hear from you again - actually I'm trying to get registered on this new-fangled board!!!

But no, I'm afraid I'm still in the good old Civil Service (but I do a few other things as well ;-) ) ! I used to be a statistician there a few years ago - kinda sorry I left it now, but there you go!

Regards,

Opus.

Opus, you have any idea what the starting off point would be? And did they tend to recruit in the year of a census?/ I'm hoping they might need extra staff with that on the horizon....

Would you be able to interpret this so based on your comments? is one to assume you start off on the lowest scale for Admin Officer recruited after 1995? In that case, how does one jump from 29,500 to 69,000 in just 7 years?!

[broken link removed]

Second, did this:
"SALARY SCALE: €28,600 - €69,460* (PPC Scale)*€67,350 after 3 years’, €69,460 after 6 years’ satisfactory service respectively on the maximum."

come from a job ad...if so, could you point me in its direction?!

i posted the salary scale. there was an ad in the paper about feb or march 2004 & then an aptitude test.
The panel was formed last june or july and i got called for interview in feb 2005. I didn't go for the interview in the end..

anyway i would think you'd have to wait for the next round of positions to be advertised in the paper, i think it might be every two years that they do it.

i don't know what point of the scale you could expect to start on but if you have no civil service work experience it would probably be the first point.

bollocks.....but I'd nearly take a drop in pay for a few years if I ever managed to get an offer there because A) that work would interest me and I love maths/stats and numbers B) because aside from all of that there seems to be a lot going for a civil service job these days.....

How come you didn't go for interview.......and how come it took a year between exam and interview....even the Civil Service can't be that slow surely?!!! Or is it that they interview the first X amount, then the second X amount? In that case, any idea how many positions they'd take people into over the 2 year span?

they were taking the first 30 for interview and I was number 49 so that's it took a while to get around to me. I was told initially that they would only be taking on about 2 people but when I eventually got called for interview I asked again and they said they had actually taken on about 15 people by then.
I didn't go for the interview as they were using this thing called a structured interview & it scared me off. It was a really detailed list of questions you had to answer to "give examples from your experience that best shows your ability to handle various aspects of the work."

Anyway I think you should give the Public Appointments Service a call on 1890-449999 to check where the competition is at the moment and when they will be hiring again.
You could get try applying for temporary work during the census, I saw an ad on that in the paper recently.

Back