Boss asking if I was pregnant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking as one half of a couple who spent three years trying to have a child, with the IVF and miscarriages etc, I know all about the sensitivities around pregnancy. I still don't see how an employer asking a stupid question in a non-work setting is any different from anyone else asking the same question. People have asked my the most incredibly insensitive questions but I ask myself what their motive was and unless it was blatantly nasty then I ignore it and get on with my life.

Hi Purple,
Im empathetic, we have been in the same boat. As a woman I am not comfortable (and dont understand) why a male work colleague would ask such a question. Like has been clearly stated above, we arent talking about suing people here - we are talking about letting the person know that while you appreciate they didnt mean any harm the question is not appropriate. Also if for some reason I unwittingly asked something that was inappropriate/caused offence I would want to know.

Anyhow, I still think this is a very personal question and one that you shouldn't ask. It's not even a question that I'd pose to close friends and relatives because it is such a personal time for the people involved and even if you have your suspicions, you still let them tell you when they are ready to tell you.

Its just one of those questions you don't ask because its rude. The same as if someone wants to brag about how much they earn - fine - let them on, but you don't come out and ask someone how much they earn, or how much they owe on their house or is their child a bit slow, cos you see them doing silly things or is your wife an alcoholic or your husband a gambler. You might be curious about all these things, but to be polite, you just don't ask. You keep schtum!

As no one has sought to answer the original question, we are drifting into Letting Off Steam territory and as "footsteps" has signed off, I am closing this thread.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back