to leave public service or not?

Re: to leave public service or not???

Obviously some people are being well paid for their overtime.
http://www.finfacts.com/irelandbusinessnews/publish/article_10007451.shtml
I'm confused. The Finfacts article refers to an Irish Examiner article, presumably [broken link removed]. The Finfacts article claims;
In public agencies, the Health Service Executive paid €585.6m in overtime with the top recipient getting €150,000 on top of a regular salary and generous pension - 5 times the average industrial wage

but I can't find any reference in the Examiner atricle to HSE.

And then the Examiner article starts out "According to the Comptroller & Auditor General’s annual report for 2006", but when I check the C&AG 2006 report, the only references to overtime I can find are about Prison Officers - no sign of the HSE 150k person, and no sign of the Civil Servants who picked up 50k overtime. Am I missing something here?

No idea you could email them if you want clarification. These stories of overtime in the public sector were widely reported in the general media (however badly) about a month or two ago. I remember that, searched for it and this was the first link that came back. I didn't [SIZE=-1]scrutinize [/SIZE]it. My point was that some people get paid overtime even if a lot don't. It wasn't meant to single out the public sector as unique in being paid overtime. Indeed theres a overtime ban in some areas of the Public sector.

Why a 10hr day. Why not 15 or 20? I was talking in general about working beyond normal hours as routine. In some jobs, projects I've worked on working through the night is pretty common to meet deadlines.
Indeed, I don’t want to be accused of playing the martyr again but I have also put in 24 and 36 hour days. That is dangerous but in my opinion, based on doing it ever week for nearly 20 years, I don’t think that working 7.30 to 6.30 in a job that is not physically demanding is a particularly long day or in any way dangerous. Working 20 hours a day on the other hand would be dangerous. I thought that was obvious.

Well you see the working hours advertised for jobs on the FAS site. They can't all be fiction. Doctors are a very specific case. I don't think its right myself. The potential for error is too great, and they may kill someone. On the flip side for the doctor they'll reap the rewards later in their career.
So no one works longer hours than those advertised on the FÁS site? I agree that NCHD’s working through the night o a regular basis is dangerous but that’s not the same as a bit of over time. Sorry, I have no time for anyone who ****es and moans about having to do a bit of overtime. I do think that they should get paid for it though.

Many, many years of hard learnt experience.
So you should have prefaced your comment with “In my experience” then? Why didn’t you just say that if overtime was becoming the rule rather than the exception you expected to be paid for it?

By the way, if a civil servant worked their ass off and got loads of overtime then fair play to them. Do you think that they should be doing it for nothing?

My point is simple. Theres a standard working day for a reason. You can choose to ignore it if you want to. Most of the time "in my experience" theres not a good reason to ignore it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eight_hour_day

[SIZE=-1]Back to the original question. Grass is always greener on the other side. But you may never realise this till you experience it for yourself. In fact it may or may not be true for you, since everyone is different. But you won't know till you try. But look before you leap.
[/SIZE]

Most of the time "in my experience" theres not a good reason to ignore it. [/SIZE]
An opinion you are perfectly entitled to. In my experience most small businesses that I know would not survive if the key people shared your view.

Sorry, I have no time for anyone who ****es and moans about having to do a bit of overtime. I do think that they should get paid for it though.
By the way, if a civil servant worked their ass off and got loads of overtime then fair play to them. Do you think that they should be doing it for nothing?
YES

Purple,I have worked in the private sector for years. I regularly do 45 to 50 hrs a week and I don't get paid extra for it. Why should the public sector get paid for overtime when I don't get paid for it??? Also a lot of the public sector employees are on fine fat salaries of 40K plus, so at that rate, they should be expected to do a bit of free overtime. I only started earning 30K very recently & do extra hours for free.

No wonder the public sector are always short of money, when people won't do a tap over & above their 33 hr week, without getting paid for it. If everyone in the private sector had that attitude, the country would close down.

Why? because you are only worth on what you can negotiate , and what the market is prepared to pay. That applies to both private and public sector. If you don't like the sector you are in, move to the other one.

Why? because you are only worth on what you can negotiate , and what the market is prepared to pay. That applies to both private and public sector.

I don't for a minute think that this even remotely applies to the public sector. In my experience.

No wonder the public sector are always short of money, when people won't do a tap over & above their 33 hr week, without getting paid for it.
If everyone in the private sector had that attitude, the country would close down.

Not everyone in the public sector has this attitude... and not everyone in the private sector is a workaholic.

Not everyone in the public sector has this attitude... and not everyone in the private sector is a workaholic.
I would suggest that the Public Sector attracts a certain calibre of individual.

Back