The risks of downgrading health cover

I suppose I'm annoyed at the fact that I've had PHI for 35 years, and only had to use it twice, both times more than 32 years ago.

Now, when I actually need a procedure, I'm caught because I downgraded the PHI last year and that effectively negated my chance of hospital inpatient treatment on any kind of semi-private basis in the current climate of shortages in the public health sector.

I'm beginning to wonder whether having PHI in this country at this time, and for the foreseeable future, is pointless unless one can afford the top level of insurance which provides access to private and high-tech hospitals.

Update. Had successful procedure in public hospital (Cappagh), woke up in private room. I don't think I had any different medical, physio or catering treatment than anybody else in the hospital. So, over 30 years payments for a private room in a public hospital for 4 nights! Also had to pay for occupational therapy equipment which is free to public patients.

Not criticising surgical, hospital, nursing care - all of that was excellent.

I still have a major problem with paying a substantial annual amount for private health insurance having seen at first hand the excellent medical service provided to all in public hospitals.

The only drawback was that because my health insurance did not cover treatment in private hospitals I had to wait for over 8 months for the procedure. I'm paying a consultant the full whack for all visits pre and post-op and also any xrays required. Luckily, I'm fairly fit and don't need physiotherapy, because I would have had to pay for that because I was under the care of a private consultant.

So, beware of all of the costs involved in any medical procedure, no matter how straightforward it may appear, unless your private health insurance covers you for any event in any medical facility anywhere.

Back