Ads that really getting on my wick.....

What about the "Positive Energy" lady on the radio, for some power company, SSL Energy or something like that.

I'd say its yer one Jo Jo from Raw - Charlene McKenna. Also starred in Pule Mule. Nothing against her as an actress but the "mid-Atlantic via Monaghan" accent and the morose music is too much. You'd think they were doing chartiable or something, they're just another energy provider, dispense with the 'ceremony' about everything.

I thought the paddypower "money back if he walks" campaing was clever.

The whole thing is just a media circus and PP is just a little side show. What PP is doing is the same as the breathless media coverage of the case.

I thought the paddypower "money back if he walks" campaing was clever.

The whole thing is just a media circus and PP is just a little side show. What PP is doing is the same as the breathless media coverage of the case.
I doubt if Reena Steenkamp's family would share your admiration of the campaign. There is a dead young lady at the heart of this trial, somebody's daughter, somebody's sister.

The creepy McVities biscuit ads where puppies come out of the digestive wrapper and then people eat them .. it just yucks me out completely (and it doesn't help that McVities have a similar ad with kittens <shudder>)

I don't believe it! McVities have just out-creeped themselves, the one with the Jaffa cakes and tarsier ... I don't know when I am going to be able to eat jaffa cakes again!

That UPC ad where yer one doing a monologue of a discussion she had with a friend goes...

"I told my friend Jane she could liderally save 100s by moving to UPC,check it out I said"

Her accent and tone really grates and has me reaching for the off switch whenever it comes on.

That UPC ad where yer one doing a monologue of a discussion she had with a friend goes...

"I told my friend Jane she could liderally save 100s by moving to UPC,check it out I said"

Her accent and tone really grates and has me reaching for the off switch whenever it comes on.

I despise that ad. It would put me off UPC.

The ferry company ads for kids go free. Annonyingly smug little kids talking to the camera!!!

The new radio advert for the BMW 3 series; you’ve worked hard, started at the bottom, burned the midnight oil etc etc and now this is your reward. What utter puke. It would put me off the whole brand if they weren’t such great cars. I wonder if BMW Germany are aware that their Irish branch (or twig) is marketing their cars at smug , wanna-be supercilious social climbers with low self esteem? Why not just sell the product.

That gives me a good laugh,you spend every fee second obsessing about work,every waking hour plotting and conniving your way to the top,you've read and reread Machiavelli s The Prince but cannot understand a word of it,you have no life friends or girlfriend because work is your mistress and for all of that your reward is a poxy 3 series??

Aim higher Sonny...aim a lot higher.

That gives me a good laugh,you spend every fee second obsessing about work,every waking hour plotting and conniving your way to the top,you've read and reread Machiavelli s The Prince but cannot understand a word of it,you have no life friends or girlfriend because work is your mistress and for all of that your reward is a poxy 3 series??

Aim higher Sonny...aim a lot higher.

Actually its even better than that. If you listen to the ad through to the end, your reward is a 3 series on HP. Surely its the funniest thing on the radio at the moment.

Yes, that 3 series ad is toe curling. That said most of those bombastic self-regarding premium car ads are like that. Classical music, big business guy, he's a deal maker, hell yeah.... wah wah.

Irish business tends to present itself fairly poorly in a lot of ways - like that Dragons rubbish, and the Apprentice. You get eejits on "I eat what I kill", "I'll pay me own wages" and all this horse. The "entrepreneur" you keeps referring to themselves as such, with the air of someone who is saving the planet. Its great to make money for yourself and fair play, that's great & long may it continue, but spare us the line that you're selflessly doing this for the greater good.

Jasus, I never heard that one before. I’d find it very hard not to laugh out loud if someone said that to me.

At a risk of diverging into a business cliche thread, one that really grates on me is "speaks to", as in something like "Our tailored service speaks to a deep appreciation of client needs...". ........ sorry, I've just thrown up in the bin, (wipes mouth with back of hand, hopes nobody noticed....)

...one that really grates on me is "speaks to", as in something like "Our tailored service speaks to a deep appreciation of client needs...". ........

Perfectly legitimate use of the verb though, in the same way that 'actions speak louder than words.'

Back