Help Geo thermal or pellet & solar combo!

jonnykerry

Hey all,
Well I've received two quotes for the heating/plumbing for my new build.

Quote one:
Geo- thermal (7 kw) with vertical bore, underfloor heating ground and first floor circa 220 sq meters, 800 liter tank 26-27 grand. Installer has stated there is no need for solar to meet the regs. Is this true?

Quote two:
Solar panels 6/8 sq meters (depends on final roof) 800/1000 tank combined with a auto wood pellet boiler of 15 kw (Polish "Stonehenge" type engineering boiler with second chamber for burning logs etc and all electronic control) , underfloor ground floor with rads upstairs in bath rooms and large vertical rads in hall ways all zoned etc, 17/18 grand.

Now the calc's are saying a running cost of 450/500 for the geo and 700/800 for pellets so the question is it worth the extra capital of 10 grand for saving of 300-400 a year? Also the house will have a stove and quote no.2 is recommending a back boiler stove if I'm putting a stove in any way as it will be a "back up"

Really don't know which way to go any suggestions would be great.

Jonny

Had similar decision to make 5 yrs ago for UFH with geo or UFH with oil. Payback time for me was 10-12yrs. No geo supplier could give me confidence that the equipment would not incur significant demand maintenance/replacement costs in that window so went with oil. Based on your numbers, your payback time is 25 yrs! Savings could easily be wiped out in that time frame. Of course you might have to replace pellet burners in that time too.

Back