Why do male dogs continue to sniff my female dog after spaying

JP1234

..and is there anything I can do to stop it?

We have a female labrador, we got her spayed when she was still young, that was about 18 months ago. she is probably about 2 and half now - can't be sure of her exact age as she was rescued but the vet think she was a year old when we got her.

I know dogs sniff each other, but mostly they move on after a quick sniff. however a couple of times the male dogs have refused to leave her alone, thankfully pulled away by the owners.

Out for our morning walk, roughly 30 minutes from home a small dog (collared but wandering free) came over and started sniffing her, and wouldn't leave us alone. I tried to shoo it away but it kept coming back, at one point it ran into the road and almost got hit by a truck so instead Ijust pulled my dog in to me and walked fast. The male dog was relentless and when I tried to scare it off it became aggressive, barking and growling at me, even my dog growling back had no effect. When I finally got home the dog attempted to follow us into the house! I got a jug of water to throw over it but it had gone.

I am baffled as to why this dog was so determind, would it be worth carrying some water with us to throw at a dog, I have read that can deter them.

Not sure what type of dog it was, sort of the size of a corgi (probably the only breed I am afraid of) but the colouring of an alsation

Sound like a horny jack russell.

The issue could be that the spaying only removed the ovaries and not the uterus as well which I gather is not as effective at killing the 'smell'.

The other possibility is that the spaying was not done right

Back