BSc in Information Technology Support

noel123ie

BSc in Information Technology Support/ Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Computer Services Management(follow on course)

Hi all,

I am hoping to start this course in a few weeks in CIT. These are known by different names in different colleges but are basically the same.

They are follow on courses to the Cert in IT support which I have.

Have any of you done these? Two buddies of mine have done this and have got good jobs from it(one working in a college in the IT department) which is sweet as a very handy number.

What is the course content/job prospects like from what you have heard?

Thanks for reading this

Noel

I did something similar in Dundalk I.T a few years ago. I worked my way through the Cert,Diploma and Degree. I currently working in the public service in a I.T Section. I would also recommend that you gain A+ Certs along the way . Also i found that once i left college alot of what i had learned was absolete, so make sure you continue you're studies after college.

If you have a choice I would recommend taking a broader course that covers development languages database etc.Speaking from experience support jobs get to you .You are expected to be on call a lot of the time ,job satsifaction is low and without other qualifications your route out is only through say management of a support team.Some companies/managers have an attitude that support is just a customer service dept and will not pay you the rates of other IT employees nor train you etc.I have only met 1 person in IT in support who was happy to stay there long term most are only doing it for experience to move to other areas.

If you have a choice I would recommend taking a broader course that covers development languages database etc.Speaking from experience support jobs get to you .You are expected to be on call a lot of the time ,job satsifaction is low and without other qualifications your route out is only through say management of a support team.Some companies/managers have an attitude that support is just a customer service dept and will not pay you the rates of other IT employees nor train you etc.I have only met 1 person in IT in support who was happy to stay there long term most are only doing it for experience to move to other areas.

cheers bleary Ill probably do the BSc in IT Support this allows entry into courses besides those in support eg SW development etc.

I work in IT Support Level 1 so i know where you are coming from

Thanks
Noel

I did something similar in Dundalk I.T a few years ago. I worked my way through the Cert,Diploma and Degree. I currently working in the public service in a I.T Section. I would also recommend that you gain A+ Certs along the way . Also i found that once i left college alot of what i had learned was absolete, so make sure you continue you're studies after college.

cheers should i go on and do honours course after this

whats the salary like after doing the degree

Cheers
Noel

There are different types of support roles - ICT or internal systems support is typically better as you will be responsible for the company infrastructure acquiring valuable skills that give you real prospects and you are not the pseudo call centre employee that more customer support focused roles can become for software vendors.
Personally I'd avoid the software development type course as it is fast becoming a very poor career option for school leavers - Java developer bubble akin to stock market type one.

There are different types of support roles - ICT or internal systems support is typically better as you will be responsible for the company infrastructure acquiring valuable skills that give you real prospects and you are not the pseudo call centre employee that more customer support focused roles can become for software vendors.
Personally I'd avoid the software development type course as it is fast becoming a very poor career option for school leavers - Java developer bubble akin to stock market type one.

cheers which IT course would you recommend?

Noel

Any course that gives you a broad variety of knowledge in different hardware\software such as routers, servers, telephony systems, Unix, mail servers like MS Exchange or Lotus notes. Additional certifications for Cisco, Microsoft (MCP?), Oracle as part of the course would be good as they are internationally recognised.

I couldn't recommend a specific course tbh and as to continuing to degree - you always have an option to work after first stage and finish your degree by night at your employer's expense or gain other professional certifications. Or avoid beginning the 9-5 slog for another couple of years if you have a patron willing to continue to sponsor your seat in the student union bar.

Any course that gives you a broad variety of knowledge in different hardware\software such as routers, servers, telephony systems, Unix, mail servers like MS Exchange or Lotus notes. Additional certifications for Cisco, Microsoft (MCP?), Oracle as part of the course would be good as they are internationally recognised.

I couldn't recommend a specific course tbh and as to continuing to degree - you always have an option to work after first stage and finish your degree by night at your employer's expense or gain other professional certifications. Or avoid beginning the 9-5 slog for another couple of years if you have a patron willing to continue to sponsor your seat in the student union bar.

Ya was thinking of cisco mcps myself but not that interested in networking hence I was going to do the degree which would give me a broad qualification.

Is the degree worth doing do you think?

Noel

The ITS course is quite good. I am involved with some of the lectures for it in CIT and from what I know it is a very good starting point for getting onto the IT ladder. As you pointed out earlier it gives oyu the opportunity to get into the DCSM or possible even the S/w wide of things.
Cisco exams are very specific and are more useful to people who are already established in IT departments.

I am assuming that you currently have the cert, are going on to start the diploma now and will decide after that whether or not to do the honours degree option afterwards.
You could presume for now you will continue through to the end but be flexible enough to take an alternative route should it present itself.
Degrees are very useful to get that first job or for moving within a few years after. It becomes increasingly irrelevant the more work experience you have. I am speaking specifically about IT qualifications here - unless you wish to continue in academics and do a PhD.
As previously stated I think this type of course is one of the better IT courses in terms of longer term job prospects.

I am assuming that you currently have the cert, are going on to start the diploma now and will decide after that whether or not to do the honours degree option afterwards.
You could presume for now you will continue through to the end but be flexible enough to take an alternative route should it present itself.
Degrees are very useful to get that first job or for moving within a few years after. It becomes increasingly irrelevant the more work experience you have. I am speaking specifically about IT qualifications here - unless you wish to continue in academics and do a PhD.
As previously stated I think this type of course is one of the better IT courses in terms of longer term job prospects.

cheers Dirty that does sound right but anyhows!!!!

Back