Group Interview

Rachs

Hello all,
I applied for a job last week and got a phone call yesterday inviting me to interview. However, the employer said that this will be a group interview. While I have had a lot of interviews in my time, I have never been to a group interview and to be honest I dont know what to expect. Has anyone been to one of these types of interviews? What happens? Any advice would be very appreciated.

I did a group interview many years ago. Did not get the job so I don't know how good my advise will be. We were given a task to preform as a team. It was a roll play scenario. What I learnt from it,

* They are looking for a teamplayer so don't be to dogmatic.
* Do not be overtly competitive
* Try and broker common ground between other interviewees.

I found it difficult though you tend to panic a little if you are not contributing and then overplay your hand a bit.

This is just my experience

Don't repeat yourself either :D

I did a couple of group interviews out of college prior to my first job. I would pretty much agree with the comments above.

Key thing though, like any interview situation, is to be yourself, and confident in yourself.

They're "staged" situation, but don't try to be anything, or anyone, that you're not. Act normally how you would in a similar situation in the "real" world.

Also, don't let yourself be intimidated by other people there. This happened me in one of mine, and I reacted badly to the intimidation, and didn't do myself any favours.

Back