What fuel efficiency do you get with your Diesel MPV?

Manuel

Hi,
I drive a diesel Galaxy LX, 4 years old.
The best I ever get (in old money) is 35 miles/gallon.

Just wondering is anybody out there driving a diesel 7-seater getting better fuel efficiency?

Now I don't mean what the display tells you, I mean what you ACTUALLY get (by working it out). My display tells me I'm getting anything from 40-43 mpg, but I never get anything like that when I fill the tank and actually work it out.

I realise it's a big heavy car (and it's a 1.8 TDCi 100 BHP), but I'm curious if smaller and/or newer 7-seater diesels can get you a much better mpg ....

Thanks!
/M.

I drove a SEAT Alhambra for years and that was about the best I could hope for. As you say, they're a big, heavy ol' bus — they also go through front tyres at a rate of knots! — and unless some fairly revolutionary new hybrid technology comes along I can't see much scope for improvement.

The 1.9TDi (105 BHP) engine is great in terms of reliability, though. :)

Smaller 7-seaters like the Mitsubishi Spacewagon or the Opel Zafira might be an option, if you can afford to shed a few acres of space?

My wife drives a diesel Mazda 5, best i ever got with it was going to France this year and we got 42 mpg. Driving around town it could be anything from 30-35 mpg. Had a petrol Zafira before this and it was no better.

We have 7 seater Citron Picaso C4 - good on the open road - average 45 to 48mpg. But for day to day use ie. school runs etc this drop to about 38mpg.
Overall very happy with the car.

5 seater Nissan Qashqai, so not an MPV as such (7 seater available). 1.6 diesel and I'd get minimum 44 mpg if all town driving and 52 mpg where motorway.

Back